Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, you kids have been wonderful for your help w/ all the questions I've asked being a newbie to certain firearm situations. I appreciate all of your help and the kindness w/ the answers. There's no attitude here and I like that.
Recently, I've dealt w/ being in a bodega when a fella robbed the place w/ a pump-action shotgun. This was all in the time I've been waiting on my interview to receive my Concealed Handgun License in the State of Oregon.
What I really want to know is if there is one size concealed handgun more experienced carriers would recommend or certain brands or styles of certain guns to carry once I get my CHL? At the moment I've a Glock 42 to start carrying once I get the license. Is this a good start and if not where do I go from here? I trust all of the advice on these forums as everyone has been so kind and informative. Thank you in advance for any help.

·
Registered
765 Posts
If you are happy with it the G42 is fine. As you become more comfortable and learn more you may want to upgrade to something else. You are at a good starting point.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
What everyone carries here seems to be from the the demure LCP all the way up to carrying the GP100 or full size 1911.

IMHO, you should carry what you are comfortable carrying, what you shoot well, and how concealed you want it to be.

In Florida here, I am in shorts and tshirts most of the year, and originally I bought the SR9c for carry duty, which it does well when I am in jeans and a polo, but seemed to print a lot in shorts and a tshirt. So, I now have a P938 that is my EDC.

Concealed to me means nobody can tell I have it on me at all, that and the fact that I prefer 9mm over 380, led me to the P938.

·
Exalted One
1,785 Posts
Wilgo, there are more opinions on this than species of insects in the world. Some will say .380 isn't enough firepower, some will say it is fine. I carry a .380 Bersa as I prefer the size and weight and how well it fits my hand. The lower recoil of a .380 does a few things for me: can get back on target faster, and is such a pleasure to shoot I shoot it a lot. If it hurts to shoot, one tends to not practice/train as much. I'm also not very big. I shot a Ruger LC9 once, didn't really feel like pulling the trigger a second time.

The key point is whatever you are most comfortable with and will practice/train with regularly. A missed shot not only endangers others around, it makes you a priority target.

I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations, preferences, and experiences - all good food for thought and consideration. You might want to invest in a spare magazine or two and practice changing mags.

Just my thoughts/opinion.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
you should carry what you are comfortable carrying, what you shoot well, and how concealed you want it to be.
Agreed. Welcome to this site. Bunch of nice people & info here.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I will just echo the above sentiments, carry what you are comfortable with and that you can shoot accurately. Then practice, practice, practice. I have an LCP, LC9, LCR .357 and XDs. 45 and vary what I carry depending on the clothing I am wearing and what I will be doing. I also have both IWB and belt holsters for everything except the LCP. It just has a Remora pocket holster.

Whatever you decide on, I sincerely hope you never have to fire it anywhere except at the range, but it is nice to know it is there and you are proficient with it if you need it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Welcome,
I guess you can tell, it's like "What wine goes with steak". Everyone has different tastes.
I found this like assembling riding gear for the bike. Start with what you have, and see how it fits. See what bothers you (size/weight/edges/whatever) and start looking at what you would like to change.
Like belly buttons, everyone has an opinion (and some are sorta smelly). I chose the LC9s as it fits my needs for small, 9mm with plenty of aftermarket accessories.

Only you know what fits you.
Practice!
Greetings from sunny SC!
Bob

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
What the heck is a bodega?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Hello all, you kids have been wonderful for your help w/ all the questions I've asked being a newbie to certain firearm situations. I appreciate all of your help and the kindness w/ the answers. There's no attitude here and I like that.
Recently, I've dealt w/ being in a bodega when a fella robbed the place w/ a pump-action shotgun. This was all in the time I've been waiting on my interview to receive my Concealed Handgun License in the State of Oregon.
What I really want to know is if there is one size concealed handgun more experienced carriers would recommend or certain brands or styles of certain guns to carry once I get my CHL? At the moment I've a Glock 42 to start carrying once I get the license. Is this a good start and if not where do I go from here? I trust all of the advice on these forums as everyone has been so kind and informative. Thank you in advance for any help.
As time marches on, you will begin to realize that EVERYTHING is a compromise. The trick is to prioritize which elements work best for YOU. If Gun A is the most affordable gun for you, but you can't hit the broad side of the barn with it, perhaps that was the wrong choice. If Gun B has you knocking out the "X" ring at 25 yards but is too big or heavy to carry with any regularity, perhaps that was the wrong choice. If Gun C is both accurate and comfortable but only holds 6 rounds, maybe that is insufficient for your purposes.

For ME, my top 3 requirements for my carry selections are as follows:
1) accuracy;
2) accuracy;
3) accuracy.

Thereafter, comfort, concealability, cost, round capacity, drawability, hosterability, looks, material, manufacturer reputation, etc. are all secondary.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
A 6+1 .380 wouldn't be my choice, but if that's all you have, make sure you can put rounds on target quickly, and carry it safely. A pocket holster that covers the trigger, or a good holster is mandatory. Don't just throw the pistol in your pocket with the trigger uncovered. That's asking for disaster.

Buy expensive self defense ammo, like Hornady Critical Defense, Remington Golden Saber, or Speer Gold Dot. DONT scrimp on your carry ammo. The .380 needs all the help it can get, and premium ammo is necessary. You can shoot the cheap stuff at the range for practice.

IF you do decide later on to upgrade, take a look at the Kahr CW45. Its a 6+1 45acp, and is just slightly larger than your Glock 42. There's certainly no concern about stopping power with a 45

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Asking what gun to carry concealed is a bit like asking what shoes to wear - a lot depends on the situation and your tastes. What sort of guns do you shoot now? What will you be wearing? Where will you be going? All of these will affect the sort of gun you will be most comfortable carrying.

What the heck is a bodega?
It's a Spanish term for a grocery store, most commonly used in the US to refer to small corner shops in Spanish-speaking areas. The term is more commonly used on the East coast than on the West coast.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
16,338 Posts
Wilgo ... Congrats on your decision to take responsibility for your personal protection :).

Additionally, in answer to your firearm selection question, while the G42 may be the perfect CC firearm for you, I share with you the simple advice that I initially give to any individual who asks me this question (please feel free to take it for what it's worth).

My first recommendation is always to relax and understand that regardless of what carry gun you initially select, the likelihood is that you will change what you choose to carry as you go forward, and if you're like most (same with holsters), you will end up with more than one carry gun and will select what you carry depending on your needs (dress, weather, location, etc.).

Secondly, know in advance that most everyone that you ask (who carries) will have very specific ideas (most often based on their personal preference) as to what you should carry, so take specific recommendations with a grain of salt. The real issue and ultimate goal here is to determine what is best for you, as there is no one size fits all when it comes to selecting a carry gun. To that end, I will suggest that you consider the following simple approach since you're currently on "the quest":

1. Don't be lazy and just take someone else's opinion regarding what is best for your needs. Do your own research and learn the advantages and disadvantages of:
  • Revolvers vs. Semi-autos.
  • Single action vs. SA/DA vs. Double action only.
  • Small, medium & large frame weapons
  • All of the available carry calibers (Note that I would suggest here nothing smaller than a .380 as a practical matter).

2. Armed with the information accumilated in item #1, find a reputable gunstore/range who's primary interest is to have you as a long term satisfied customer, who has a wide selection of carry guns available to handle (and rentals to shoot), and who is willing to answer your questions and make recommendations based on things such as:

• Your hand size and strength
  • Your body type and typical wardrobe requirements
  • Your budget for the gun as well as ammo for both practice & carry
  • The proper holster(s) and concealment methods for your needs

Ultimately, if you take your time with the selection process and utilize the simple approach as outlined above, the chances are that you will start out with an appropriate firearm and carry system that fits your needs and budget.

Hope it helps ... Good luck as you work your way through the process ... Buck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.