Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this has been due for some time now, and is my first time actually postiing a range report online, so if there's any questions, comments or concerns feel free to post away.

Went to the range the other day to get familiar with my 77/357 and it's new sights (Marble 1/16 gold bead .5" high front sight and a Skinner stainless steel barrel apperture sight) as well as try an assortment of sight combinations on my GP100 (Old GBVR gold bead post front sight, red insert ramp front, standard black 2x4 ramp front, standard white outline partridge rear, V notch with white vertical line rear and One Ragged Hole apertures for the rear) to see which combination I like the most.

I used Double Tap's 158gr nosler jshp .357 magnum ammo for the entire session. The first trip (last weekend) I used Federal's American Eagle 158gr jsfp ammo, which shot fine (minus a few badly buldged out rounds). I just wanted a higher quality full power load to eliminate ammo inaccuacy boubts, and because full power loads are fun! It also helps one feel a bit better when .338s and higher are being touched off a couple lanes down the line. :p

Ok, a bit of back story, Last weekend, the first trip to the range with my 77/357, I ended up discovering that my front sight's gold bead was canted down to the left, which explains a lot of inconsistent shooting, I don't know if it was like that all along or camer loose as time marched on while shooting, but when I attempted to try and left it up and to the right, it damn near instantly snapped the bead and it's screw socket right off (I was being gentle, honestly). So, that killed the range session and prompted the ordering of a new front sight.

First up, the 77/357, 100yds with iron sights.

These are my first couple of magazines through a target, you can see I started low right and tried to walk them in.

As time marched on.

Porgressively tweaking and such.

I think I'm going to bring the rear sight down a little bit at this point as I feel the target before had shots on a better plane.

The magazine that came with the rifle has worked flawlessly from the get-go. I purchased another magazine online, and last weekend it was finicky at best, I would not trust my life or game on it. However, this weekend, when I pulled the finicky one out of the range bag to give it a chance to redeem itself, I saw that there wwas a wire (looked like an unbent paperclip to me) protruding fromt he inside of the magazine out and up into the openning of the top of the magazine. I firgured the magazine was done for anyway, and decided for the hell of it to feed 5 rounds into it anyway and try it out for the sake of finality. To my absolute surprise and pleasure, that somehow sorted out the magazine and it is now just as smooth and reliable as the one that came with the rifle. No idea how the hell that happened to be perfectly honest, but I'm not going to complain!

The 77/357 is an absolute pleasure to shoot! Just enought recoil to remind you your firing a rifle, light and snappy (even bipodded), and the trigger breaks a split second before my mind startsd to think I'm actually trying to put pressure on it. The split bolt design has yet to cause me any concern, and the super short action allows me to keep my sight picture if I choose to which is a real plus for a bolt action IMO.

Next up is my GP100, at 25yds offhand.

I had switched the front sight out for the taller GBVR gold bead one and left the white outline partridge rear in place for the time being, and I was just going to adjust elevation for starters.

As I shot, I could see I am disturbingly low, so low that even after adjusting the rear sight to the maximum elevation, well, you can see for yourself. Even with the front post's gold bead above the bullseye, it still shoots low.

I did however have ammo left over after this realization to at least try out rear sight blades, and I found the One Ragged Hole 7/32 rear aperture to be my favorite rear sight, especially if I could find a way to keep the gold bead front.

So, as much as I love the gold bead front, at this point I don't see how I can justify keeping it on for any other reason than it looks fantastic. The rear aperture has earned it's keep for me however.

Well, that's about all I got, again, if there's any questions, comments or concerns please let me know as it's my first shot at this, and I hope you've all enjoyed it!

:)

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Revoliver - great report! And great pictures too. I have to admit - when I scrolled down and saw your range setting I was taken aback. Wow, do you have a beautiful place to shoot! Anyway, I admire your methodical approach and I'm sorry the gold bead front sight didn't work out as planned. It is definitely high on the "cool factor" and I was toying with the idea of trying to locate one myself. Sigh.

Anyway, great shooting and a nice report. Again, you have a stunning setting there - enjoy!

Wave

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
We got a problem here. Maybe More. You are quoting Roger's and Hammerstein's " The King and I". I'm not sure which is worse. You quoting, me knowing the quote and where it is from or me telling on both of us!

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies!

@Waveform: It's definately a beautiful setting! And yeah, definately a shame the gold bead just won't work.

@Bigdog: Lol, yes it is, it's stuck in my head because we just watched The Adams Family movies (it's in the second one where Puglsy and Wednsday are at camp Chipewah) thanks to the Mockingbird Lane Munsters remake TV series premiere commercials recently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts