1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellers:

I just bumped on this CNN article:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/06/child.driver.chase.ap/index.html#cnnSTCText

An 11 years old girl was speeding like crazy trying to outrun police. She's now charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, speeding, reckless endangerment and leaving the scene of an accident. The minimum driving age in Alabama is 16. How possibly could that happen to 11 yo child?! Who gave her car keys, taught how to drive, and allowed to consume alcohol? What kind of parents they are? [?][V][xx(]

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
The kind of parents who think their child can do no wrong and blame everybody else and blame society for her actions instead of looking at themselves and the child.
The kind of parents who will not dicipline their child and will not let the school do it either. The kinds of parents who constantly make excuses instead of solving the problems.
The kind of parents who will not take responsibility for their inactions or the child's actions.

The kind of parents that---if the facts prove it--should be held responsible in criminal/civil court for child neglect.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, they suppose to get charged, not a minor child. Anyways, I can't imagine an 11 yo girl driving over a hundred. Even if she did, she probably got scared to death. But drinking... that's something behind the line between Good and Evil.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
its happening more and more all the time.

·
Registered
842 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Ron Honner

It's still the parents fault. Some couples should not be allowed to reproduce. I really believe that.
That's the truth and I Include some kinfolk in that statement.:(
Baker

·
Registered
23 Posts
"Duck declined to release the girl's blood alcohol level but said a blood test at the hospital showed it was higher than .02, the legal limit for minors."
I didn't know there was a 'legal limit for minors'." Maxx Load

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Ron your right I agree with you. MaxxLoads I didn't know there was either , there shouldn't be that is for sure.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I certainly don't endorse under aged drinking, but I'll throw this out there for consideration. There are religious and cultural beliefs that include drinking wine at certain times. And many mouth washes and over the counter cough\cold remedies are largely made up of alcohol. How many of us had a small glass of wine with dinner before we were 21? Perhaps it depends on the region you grow up in, or the religion that your family brought you up in. Having been raised Catholic, and growing up in a ranching area that included many Italian and Basque families, wine was always a part of the evening meal. It was both a cultural and a religious thing. Not a good thing, not a bad thing, just an "is" thing.

Just thought I'd throw that out there...

Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're right, Wolfsong. It could have been this reason, but... drinking and driving as dangerous as throwing TNT into fire. Anybody doesn't know this? Actually, driving in that young age is as dangerous too. A child simply has no feeling of responsibility, and no knowledge of death. She had no idea how to handle a car in the critical situation; she got scared, she floored the pedal. She could have killed someone, or killed herself in no time. Good thing - it ended up with only insurance claims.

·
Registered
343 Posts
quote:It was both a cultural and a religious thing.
Maybe she was just trying to outrun her brother..... or is that an Arkansas cultural thing??[}:)]

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
quote:Originally posted by SigDreamer

Maybe she was just trying to outrun her brother..... or is that an Arkansas cultural thing??[}:)]
No, SigDreamer. It happens in Kansas too. I taught my 3year younger sister how to drive fast when she was about 12. It wasn't long before she was giving me a run for my money out on the country roads & the Go Kart track we had in the hay medow![8D]
Of course, she grew up but I never did.:D

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
quote:Originally posted by SigDreamer

quote:It was both a cultural and a religious thing.
DEpends on what you mean by needin' to outrun her brother![:0][:p][}:)]

Yep i was taught to drive early in the pasture as well but not on the road. And been to several choir practices/fish frys where we all drank a little--legal for a minor in Texas as long as within sight and sound of a parent. Been told i was given a little whiskey to help put me to sleep when young.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
She will probably get a "verbal warning" from her parents, and go merrily on her way.....

·
Count Ursunk
3,363 Posts
in the days i was goin to school,you got a paddlin when you didnt behave in class.i remember one of my friends that would ask the ag teacher for a jump start papplin every morning.he thought it was so cool. kinda wanted to be a standout sorta kid.needless to say,that attitude changed when football practice began. he turned out ok from what i have heard. i might step on some toes ,but,if we had teachers that would instill a little more respect in their students while at school,whithout being handcuffed by liberal unions,us might be able to see an improvement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts