Ruger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a 10/22 lite target for my grandson we started shooting steel and I wanted him to have a good rim fire. Everybody was saying how good the 10/22's are but I must have bought the one that was made on Monday, right out of the box started jamming tried different ammo still jammed sent it back to Ruger they said it was the ruger mags. They said it was fixed and send it back well started jamming again sent it back they polished the mags said it was fixed and sent it back said to use high velocity ammo so I bought CCI stingers 7.99 for 50rds 1640 fps thought it was fixed we went to the completion and guest what had 5 jams. Will they refund my money and I'll buy something else?
I read all the posts and hope I didn't miss something but has Ruger sent you some brand new mags, not your old ones polished, to try. It seems there may have been a bad run of mag... feed lip problems I believe. So instead of sending in your gun maybe they could just send you new mags or go to a local store you trust and ask an older clerk if they can sell you one onf the newest mags they have recently received from Ruger.
I've been buying and selling and shooting Ruger 10-22's for maybe 39 years and have never had one that was bad from the factory, but I have had lots of bad 10-22 mags. In the old days there were instructions included on how to dissemble the magazines for cleaning and how to make the spring tension a little harder. I don't know if that is possible anymore but I mark all my mags and as soon as one starts to malfunction in a clean, lubed gun I try to clean it one time from the outside and wipe everything away. If that doesn't work I throw it away and replace it with a new one. I shoot a lot.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
RP, it seems there is an admonition somewhere in the manual for the "Target" models that you should use ammo which has a certain thickness in the rim and not to use certain ammo because the rim is either too thick or too thin. You might read the manual for that detail? Maybe something like a headspace issue? I am not sure as I don't have a "Target" model.

Bruce

·
Registered
66 Posts
We bought the cheapest 10/22 available, $218.00 OTD. Replaced the extractor and it shoots, (to this point), any brand of ammo I put in it.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

·
Registered
273 Posts
Buy a brand new mag and try it. If it works send the old ones back and demand a replacement.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have two 10/22's. First one bought back early 90's. Worked fine with 10 rd factory mags and four 25 rd Butler Creek mags. 2nd one bought around 2010 or so, also worked fine with 10 rd factory, 25 rd Butlers, and some newer Ruger 25 rounders. Older 10/22 also worked fine with newer Ruger 25 rd mags. Have shot about all US made 22 LR ammo through each, only problem I ever had is with some older Remington Mohawk 22's. Both rifles feed, fire, and eject well. Only problem and they let me know it, is when after firing X number of rounds when the action gets dirty from firing (and most 22 ammo will) and there is some feeding problems. A cleaning will cure it and they go on until things get mucked up again. I don't do a complete breakdown cleaning every time I go out and shoot unless it is a session where I run through a lot of rounds. I've never done any extensive work on either except a little stoning here and there. Fine rifles for the price. I shoot mainly Federal, Winchester, and Remington ammo with some CCI tossed in the fray. I've never had problems with the Ruger 25 round mags either as some have posted in the past. My grandsons love them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Readers, does Ruger put a tighter chamber (i.e.,Match. Bentz or other) on their Target models? Although they don't advertise such, this could be part of the problem.
That's always been my understanding.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What I did for my son’s is I bought stripped 10/22 receivers and then added Ruger BX triggers, Kidd light weight barrels, bolts, and bolt handles. They opted for Hogue stocks and Seeall open sights. I can’t out shoot either boy now in accuracy or speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
Unless I missed a page, tomorrow will be three months to the day from the last post in this (seemingly) necro-thread.

But I'm going to risk posting to it anyway. Two reasons.

One, I'm curious to know how things turned out with the OP's rifle. Did the refund arrive?

Two, as a soon to be first-time 10/22 owner (my eBay sale needed to fund it finished successfully today; shipping tomorrow), I have to say hat's off to those who offered so much good advice in this thread, from take it to a gun smith to try different ammo (HV, CCI = good, but NOT stingers!) to polishing receivers and different mags to tight tolerances in the target model -- which mine will not be (new compact).

This is a mini-course in how to run your 10/22. I'll read again, I'm sure. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
For the rifles that jam when feeding, and the bullet hits the top edge of the chamber, does anyone recommend taking that upper edge down a bit with some sandpaper or fine file?

·
Premium Member
14,078 Posts
Have had a problem with my Charger vice bad ammo. Once in awhile it will choke on cheap ammo but it is my fault. The 10/22 action is great and more robust than others out there but will still have problem occasionally. Any semi auto 22 cal can act up.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Might suggest you try your magazines in another rifle known to shoot if possible (had one mag and friend of mine had same result). Contacted Ruger and sent 2 new mags and no more issues. This one shoots everything we have fed it with no issues at all.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
What I did for my son’s is I bought stripped 10/22 receivers and then added Ruger BX triggers, Kidd light weight barrels, bolts, and bolt handles. They opted for Hogue stocks and Seeall open sights. I can’t out shoot either boy now in accuracy or speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The SeeAll sights are great!!

I've have maybe a dozen or more 10/22's over the years and the only time I had and issues was when they were filthy dirty and gummed up. Heck I used to pick them up at pawn shops dirt cheap cuz they wouldn't function, give it a detail cleaning and they run like new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would use the finest grit polishing stone very lightly and gently to the whole chamber, then polish it with the red jeweler's rouge... I do that routinely to my .22's just 'cause. Having said that I would still defer to what the other fellow said about checking your mags and using a couple of new ones as a standard while you find ammunition of the right COL and perhaps bullet shape.

·
Banned
388 Posts
Stingers will not run in a 10/22. Period. I believe it's in the owners manual. Get some CCI Mini-Mags.
Not true, I have owned well over 12 Ruger 10/22's and everyone of them fired Stingers no problem.
Stingers don't work in the target model.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Color me curious as well. :confused:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did Ruger resolve this for you?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Seriously. Sounds like a feed ramp or magazine issue, but I have a difficult time believing that Ruger Service Department couldn't get that fixed the first time around.

I have three different 10/22s, and all of them are very boring. They always go bang, and pretty much go through the same hole each and every time, regardless of what I feed them.

Stick with it - it is worth it.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts