Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think this:

Has anything to do with this?

Inexplicably, I never really looked closely at the sights. I kept reading how accurate these things are right out of the box, and my inexperience caused me to doubt my technique rather than the gun.

Why would this sight come this way?? And can someone give me advice as to how to sight this in (tips for shooting off a bench, distances, etc.).

Thanks, as always, for any help.
Ed.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ed,

Yes, the rear sight set way left is causing your gun to shoot left. Center that rear sight blade and shoot some more groups.
Why did it come that way, I don't know, maybe the assembler just got carried away with his/her screw driver. At least the sights look to be straight with the gun and not tilted off to one side.

When I shoot from the bench I usually rest my forearms on the sand bag or rest and let my hands and wrists move as they do when I shoot off hand.
But I only shoot from the bench to get a rough sight in and or to verify the gun is sighted in. 99.5% of my shooting is standing.

When I test a gun, or a new load, the first groups are up close. 7 yards. I can see the target, I can get a good sight picture on that up close target and see what my gun is doing. Then when I'm satisfied it's adjusted where I want it, I'll move the targets further away.

Hope this helps a bit.

Joe

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That does help, Joe, thanks. I moved the site back to center and will try again this weekend. This was my first time shooting a handgun, really, so I assumed operator error. I feel better about my shooting performance today now that I know this, but feel stupid for not LOOKING.

Joe, I also shot double action the entire time today. Maybe shooting single action next time will give me a better sense of the gun's accuracy? I mean, for a beginner, it seems like that lighter trigger pull might make for more accurate shooting?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Old Big Mouth gonna brag on you for shooting double action, that's the best way for defense-but with those groups you showed us and the sights* adjusted rightly---you oughta be deadly at single action-take a silver dollar with you to cover your groups!! *I don't buy adjustable sights so it never crossed my mind...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks, Sheepdog, that makes me feel much better. We'll find out today if you're right! (The range I'm going to today is outdoors, though, so if today's results suck I will blame it on wind or excessive pollen or something.)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ed,

I only shoot my double action revolvers in single action mode when I'm testing loads. Otherwise I shoot them double action. So since you did that well double action, just keep doing what you're doing and I think you'll do well.

Joe

Edited to insert an important part of the sentence. Strange how my mind thinks it, but my fingers forget to type it. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts