Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a friend the other day who is really into guns. He said that since I live in town with other houses all around me, that it would be a good idea to get some Glaser Safety Slugs to load up for home defense. I've done a little reading about this ammo and see that there is not as much danger of them going through the walls into another home. But why are these loads so much more expensive than "standard" ammo? Mercy!

Amistad
'holding onto my wallet!'

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Most won't pay the almost $3.00 per round for them...they're that high because they don't make that many and those who like them will pay that much...I knew Jack Canon and the first ones were made one-at-a-time...the first few boxes of 50 he sent me looked like someone'd crammed a pencil eraser into the bullet jacket and cut it off with a knife...roughly...if they made a million rounds a month, the price per could be lower...I doubt if they make 10,000 per month...last I heard, Cor-Bon has absorbed them into their company...

·
Registered
197 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about over penetration. In an apartment absolutely but not in a house. Not that a bullet won't penetrate the walls but to go through interior walls and exterior siding, stucco,or whatever and then through the walls of a neighboring house is unlikely. Not that it can't happen and then there is the possiblity of windows, but if very few people are buying Glaser safety slugs then most of us must be using standard ammunition.

I would say to practice as much as possible and have a good bright flashlight handy with your house gun. Or if it still worries you buy the safety slugs or a shotgun loaded with buckshot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts