Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally broke down today and had a eye exam and ordered progessive lenses hope they improve my ability to see the sites and maybe the target.
Just wondering about other folks experiences getting used to shooting with them, and maybe any tips .
I ordered sunglasses as well ,polarized. I am picking up a lot of info on this site nice to have access to the knowledge.
Thanks

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
The last prescription sun glasses/driving glasses I got are fantastic in a way. You could see a tick on a deers butt @ 1000 paces.
But there is NO depth perception, and after almost rear ending someone, I never wear them for driving..

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have tri-focals with a fine center line set up to see sights at arms length.
How's that working for you, bwinters? I've got progressives and i'm due for a new pair. I was thinking of having the top of the lenses ground for arms' length vision. My reasoning being that would be better for a chin down, looking at the sights stance. I can understand the "center" approach but how does that impact your vision at other times?

·
Super Moderator
21,725 Posts
I started wearing progressives in the early 90's and the have improved a lot since then. If they are set up correctly the focus is natural. I have always tested 20-15 or on a good day 20-10 on a eye chart (now with glasses) so the distance vision is good. Up close has been a problem since I was 19. The progressive will bring the sights in clear focus with a fuzzy target. To me that is the natural way to shoot.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have using progressive trifocals for the past several years and for me they are great. It takes a while to get used to them, maybe up to a month, but it is worth it.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I've been wearing glasses with variable focus lenses for years. (I just can't bring myself to describe anything I have as "progressive".) They work well, although finding exact spot on the lens to bring the front sight into sharp focus can be a little tricky.

Focused rapid fire is almost out of the question; I have to settle for a fuzzy front sight or, essentially, point shooting. That's one reason why I have CT lasers on most of my handguns. I have lasers on all of my carry guns except my Sig p238 and will have one on it when CT releases the green LaserGuard for it in July. I have two green lasers now and have determined that all future lasers will be green also. They are a tremendous help for these seventy-six-year-old eyes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Great thread subject! I have been using progressive lenses for just about as long as they have been available on the market. Good results so far with firearms and Paintball Pursuit games. I have an additional complication- astigmatism in the right eye. That can be sort-of corrected in the lens prescription, but the first slight problem that I just recently noticed is in regard to the "SeeAll" open sights. That brand of sight gives you a green triangle to aim by, putting the center of your target at the point of the triangle apex. My astigmatism causes the triangle to appear tilted to the right. I probably won't be using the "SeeAll" sight for various reasons, and also bought an Aimpoint reflex sight that poses no vision problems at all.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I had the progressives for a month or so but couldn't get used to them and ended up switching to bifocals

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have bifocals. I was told the progressives distort straight lines some.

I hunt and shoot with no glasses,and I have a depth perception issue with my glasses so I don't back up my trucks or operate my equipment with my glasses on.

·
Super Moderator
21,725 Posts
I have bifocals. I was told the progressives distort straight lines some.
I wore them for about 12 years in the working world and I was a bean counter and never noticed that distortion. The biggest problem they used to have was in the peripheral but that has improved a lot with the development of the lenses in more recent years.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I have progressive lenses. Love them. I don't notice a problem with scopes or red dots but I do have a devil of a time with iron sights on rifles. I have noticed, however, that I've adjusted how I hold a rifle when shooting with scopes and red dots.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've been wearing them for about 15 years. I wouldn't have anything else. I originally had line-bifocals and I can't believe how much more natural these are. I have good aim with all kinds of sights, and the transition between close -to far-vision adjustment is near-flawless. I need some new lenses, so you know what I'm going to get. It took me a couple of days, certainly not weeks, to adjust to them. Just relax and enjoy the freedom!

·
Registered
131 Posts
you could talk with your optometrist about a pair of shooting glasses that would allow you to have a natural head angle while shooting, one of my range buddies did this and loves the difference, i'm going to setting up a appointment soon. i've had progressive lenses for a few years and you still have to search for that clear sight plane.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I still stick with single vision-I am 66. I recall reading Charlie Askins advocating getting glasses strictly for shooting, he recommend explaining your needs to an optometrist, having glasses ground so you can focus on the front sight, e.g. Years ago I knew an appliance repairman, he spent a lot of time looking up, he had reading glasses with the lenses set so it was easier for him to look up at close distance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Depending on sights used, you might consider a special pair. I wear my progressives for red dot and scopes, but iron sights are a bear. Pick either the target or front sight focus by changing my head angle just never worked well for me. I got a script for 6" beyond my grip for my right/dominant eye and used the distance script for my other eye. Bought a pair at zennioptical.com for $38 delivered. Takes me 10 minutes for my brain to sort them out when first put on, but seeing both sight and target in focus upped my score more than 80 points. Well worth it for me. You do need to keep both eyes open for the effect to work.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
For me, I have no trouble with handguns because you can change the focal length by moving the gun closer/farther away until you get a good sight picture. Rifles with open sights are a different story. I can either see the target or the sights, but not both at the same time. Also, I have to raise my head quite a bit to focus on the rear sight, which of course makes seeing the target impossible. So I continue to shoot handguns with my glasses and I shoot rifles with optics and no glasses.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Worked in the optics world for years, made and fit a lot of glass, for myself, its flat tops 28's lined bifocals, and in my sunglasses, your still have your depth perspiration, I use the no lines for work and a round the house. We called the workman's lens double ds so you could see over your head. Its worth the money to get a pair of shooting glass made, I fit a lot of law enforcement all had trouble quaffing with the no line or progressives. But with the lines and a adjustment in lens 1/4 of 1/2 diopter, the sights will clear right up. Talk to your OD at the time of your exam.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I wore progressives for 15+ years. After experimenting with contacts, right eye for close, left for distance, that worked well, although the brain accomidating was tricky. Night driving, particularly will produce starburst and I dumped wearing those. Even with progressives, cataract development in my right/dominant eye affected precision shooting but was effect for practice for self defense.

Progressives are good, except I always practiced without them as well as with them based on the knowledge I might not have time to reach and find glasses if there was an attach or break-in.

Since cataract surgery with much better vision, the front sight is a little fuzzy and accuracy is sufficient for self defense.

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
Ive tried progressive lenses and trifocals.
I never could get used to them and went back to regular glasses and reading glasses.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts