Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some frameless glasses that are great for indoors but I needed a pair for outside and shooting because my prescription had changed and my old shooting glasses weren't current. I'm amazed at how expensive glasses are getting.

I got the wide vision type of glass that allows the precription to go all the way to the corners. For those that don't wear glasses most have clear centers but fade as you go from the center.

They cost $460 but Sears had a two for one so I got two pair and my insurance paid $150 so my actual cost was $310. One pair has a yellow tint.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I wear contacts. I like them because I don't think I could "rock" the glasses, but they can be annoying sometimes.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Yeah, I wear progressives and for rifle shooting they suck. At one point I considered bi- or trip-vocals which might have been better.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wear contacts. I like them because I don't think I could "rock" the glasses, but they can be annoying sometimes.
I wore contacts for decades but when I reached 50 years old I went back to glasses for medical reasons. With shooting a person should wear eye protection so I don't see any benefit with contacts.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I wear progressives and for rifle shooting they suck. At one point I considered bi- or trip-vocals which might have been better.
I like progressives but they need to be fitted special for shooting. The center where they begin is lower than normal.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
I just told myself today that I need to call for an eye appt. I'm going for contacts. Just clear, I can't imagine having blue eyes.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tears... I have a wig w/short hair in my Halloween stuff, I should put it on. He'd crap his hanes. No I don't wear them.... I carry them around in my purse. LOL
Your vision must not be very bad. I couldn't live without mine.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
I just got a new pair of shooting glasses from Galy Optical. Bifocal since my progressives drove me nuts at long range since I had eye surgery a few years ago. close up, I need a lot of help, less at 50yds, almost none at 100yds and I could read a book at 300 if the print was big enough. (that sounds dumb, but you know what I mean.)

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
These are my glasses for shooting only.
They are perscription with a focal length of 71 cms.
They have the yellow tint.
You'll have to excuse the face that's wearing them (and the CZ paraphernalia)..... :D

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I waffle between bi-focals, tri-focals, and my trap shooting glasses. I have the front sight on all my handguns red to try to keep some consistency

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Funny this came up, I've been putting off going back to the eye doc but I know I really need to go & get some glasses made like you are talking about 303. It really sucks when I'm trying to aim & run out of the correction part of my lens. To tell the truth I had gotten so worried about my grandson outshooting me that I went ahead & put a scope on my 15-22...lol

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
I'm thinking more and more about getting some dedicated glasses for shooting.
I'm right eye dominant, but injured my right eye in a freak landscaping accident about 22 years ago. I've tried shooting right handed using my left eye, but it's just too awkward for me.
I shoot pretty well, really well if you take the diminished vision into account, but feel like I could do much better.
James6591, I really like the glasses you got. Do you know if I could get them here in the States? (We'd look like brothers, I've noticed lately how much more salt and less pepper I have in my beard...)

·
Banned
359 Posts
For shooting I just bought a set of Revision Military Sawfly glasses. The kit included four sunglass lenses and a prescription lens carrier that snaps into the nosepiece. For about $200 I got clear, gray, yellow and red lenses and my prescription glasses in a nice case. Have had them for about a week; they work great.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
James6591, I really like the glasses you got. Do you know if I could get them here in the States? (We'd look like brothers, I've noticed lately how much more salt and less pepper I have in my beard...)
Mate, they say everyone has a twin somewhere (lucky you)..... :confused:
Actually the glasses were a custom job, so no, you won't find them.
The rest, just growing old disgracefully (just joking)..... :eek:
Cheers, James.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Mate, they say everyone has a twin somewhere (lucky you)..... :confused:
Actually the glasses were a custom job, so no, you won't find them.
Poop. :mad:
I guess I'll just have to see what I can find.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Funny this came up, I've been putting off going back to the eye doc but I know I really need to go & get some glasses made like you are talking about 303. It really sucks when I'm trying to aim & run out of the correction part of my lens. To tell the truth I had gotten so worried about my grandson outshooting me that I went ahead & put a scope on my 15-22...lol
They make a big differance. I got the widest vision they had and the corrected vision goes ALL the way to the rim. They aren't cheap though.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
They make a big differance. I got the widest vision they had and the corrected vision goes ALL the way to the rim. They aren't cheap though.
I hear you, I just really hate going to any doc...no matter what I go for my butt always hurts when I get the bill...lol

I'm gonna get a pair made tho for sure

1 - 20 of 25 Posts