Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I used “hooker red” finger nail polish on my SBH.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have 3 dot factory sights on my sr9c. They were white. I put a drop of green glow in the dark paint over the white. It works good. Whenever it stops glowing, you just need to put it under a lamp for a half hour.

·
Paw Paw
90 Posts
I use good old Testors model paints. Available for about $2 at Hobby Lobby and other places. Lots of good color choices. Its enamel. I've re colored several P series sites using a toothpick and 1 tiny drop. dries fast.

Dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
Add another finger nail polish user.

I use my teenagers....all kinds of florescents to choose from. Green and orange seem to work ok for me. I try to stay away from those with glitter and sparkles.

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
Add another finger nail polish user.

I use my teenagers....all kinds of florescents to choose from. Green and orange seem to work ok for me. I try to stay away from those with glitter and sparkles.
Wise man you are ...

·
Registered
619 Posts
One of my sons is using it on some of his guns and says its good when that’s all that can be done to laminate the sights. He also says it will need some light to activate it first and using a flashlight while on night patrol does the trick.

·
Emperor
885 Posts
I tried a paint marketed by Glow Inc. that I got on Amazon. I was terribly disappointed with it.

Even after "charging" the sights under a bright incandescent light for hours, the glow was faint and pretty much useless within 15 minutes. The consistency was grainy and lumpy so it was hard to apply evenly, and it dried to a dirty white, almost grayish color that made the sight dots even less visible in daylight.

I have used Testors fluorescent enamel paints with good results for increased visiblility in daytime, but it does not glow in the dark.

If you are really considering this, go to Amazon dot com and read the reviews written by those who have tried using either Glow-on or Glow Inc. paint for gun sights. You will find that most of them are abysmal. The stuff might be good for painting little moons, planets, and unicorns on your young daughter's bedroom ceiling that will glow for 5 minutes after the lights are turned out.

For gun sights, these products are useless, IMO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Testors flat white followed by Testors fluorescent along with clear nail polish. SP101 snub along with CZ75 microdot sights. Much better for my older eyes. Liked orange the best.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Almost...I saw some at Wally Mart . Put a base coat of flat white on sight with Bic White -Out Correction Pen in preparation for the day glow color...went back and no paint, sold out! That was OK because the flat white worked like a charm , not expensive and found everywhere . Don't Need No Stinking Wally Mart Day-Glo Paint...Got White-Out !!!
Gary

·
Super Moderator
21,241 Posts
I have a small bottle but wasn't impressed with how long it glowed for. Moot point now as my nightstand guns all have night sights.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
My wife doesn’t wear nail polish, but I do have a bottle of day glo orange.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I also use fingernail polish on single action front sights. I start with a base coat of white and follow that with 2 coats of orange. Seems to hold up very well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fingernail polish with a twist

Fingernail polish is the only thing that lasts - but it works even better if you get the type that fluoresces in UV light - then it works until after dark. Highly visible and it wears like iron - in and out of a holster it lasts for years.
You don't need an undercoating of white with the right stuff - try the Arte Klavo series on Amazon

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Some European gun makers supply phosphorescent ("glow-in-the-dark") painted dots on their sights because true night sights (tritium) are banned due to their radioactivity. They are admittedly a very poor substitute as the glow fades very quickly.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I did buy Glo-On, not generic thinking it to be the same. That said I have yet to try it and yes I have three flavors of Testors. I got it to see better in day time period

1 - 20 of 21 Posts