Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would you choose and why? I'm heading to my gun store sometime this week and can't decide between the two. Help me out! Thanks. :D

P.S. It will be used as my nightstand gun and also as a very frequent range gun. So I'll be trusting my life to it, and will be putting tons if rounds through it. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I like my beretta. But it was also my first auto handgun so I can't really compare. I got it primarily because its a all-metal frame. I picked up a Bianchi #5 holster for it just because. It would be kind of hard to conceal without wearing rather baggy cloths.

A lot of people gripe about the 2-stage trigger. I don't mind it. I haven't shot a Glock recently enough to compare. The decocker is also a consideration, some don't like it.

If it is a night stand gun, tritium sights? Availability may be worth considering.

Lastly, aesthetics. How pretty you want to make it? Not sure how much you can do to make a Glock look classy, but I made some nice wood grips (PITA I will add). Damn pretty I will say. A dark grain goes really nice with the black frame.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I own a variety of auto pistols but cannot speak to the Beretta (never shot one). I own a Glock 19 and 26. The 19 is a truly great gun. It is my primary range pistol just because I like shooting it.

I'm not a gun collector. I buy 'em to use 'em. According to my shooting files I have put approximately 6000 rounds through these two Glocks without a single hiccup. They are simple, reliable, and yes ugly (kinda like a bulldog).

An LC9 sits on my nightstand.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Glock 19 vs 92

I have a Glock and a 92. If this gun were to ever be a carry piece, I would go with the 19. If not, then I would go with the Beretta.
I agree. And since the only gun I carry any more is a .38 snubbie, I'm going to trade my 19 for a 92 ( both world class obviously !).:D

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
I am NOT a fan of Glocks. At all. Ever. Get the Beretta.

·
Registered
162 Posts
With all respect to the other opinion's both are fine weapons, i have experience with both but the 92 is a better choice. I know you can find 92's for around $300 to $400 dollars, but i happen to think that Sig Sauer makes the finest auto's around. For sometimes less than $500.00 dollars you could get a Sig SP2022 chambered in 9mm. I have 3 Sigs and everyone of them eats whatever ammo i feed them with no issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like the Beretta but that said I love my Glock 19. I shoot the Glock better but that may be because the Glock was the first pistol I ever owned and I don't have a ton of trigger time on the Beretta. I also had a Sig 228 in 9mm that I sold to fund a 10/22 build. loved that gun too. It served nightstand duty for me for several years.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I've owned a Glock 17 and spent some range time with the Beretta and similar steel-framed pistols (currently using a CZ SP01). As a night stand/range gun, I'd go with the Beretta. As a carry or car gun, I'd go with the Glock.

If you're pretty sure you won't ever carry it, go with the Beretta.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Additionally, if you're ever thinking of carrying, the Glock 19 is still too big in my opinion. The Glock 26 or a S&W Shield is more suited to carrying as they're smaller and lighter.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Which would you choose and why? I'm heading to my gun store sometime this week and can't decide between the two. Help me out! Thanks. :D

P.S. It will be used as my nightstand gun and also as a very frequent range gun. So I'll be trusting my life to it, and will be putting tons if rounds through it. :)
I own two Beretta M9/92fs pistols and they are among the very best pistols in the world. Seriously; not even close. Go with the Beretta. The reliability is legendary, the build quality is impeccable, it is all-metal, and very accurate. Nothing against Glocks, but there is a reason that the Beretta is the official US military officer's sidearm.

·
Reloader
4,138 Posts
I will have to go with the G19. I have Smaller hands. The 92 is a great gun also..

·
Registered
17,239 Posts
Beretta 92, or even better a 96. They have a better trigger and don't look like your looking down a diving board while sighting, and they look good with good balance.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
This is just one man's opinion, but to me the ideal nightstand gun would be a railed Beretta 92 with Crimson Trace grips and a taclight on the rail.

·
Registered
838 Posts
If it is to be used for CC o would go with the Glock or maybe a SR9c or 40c but for other uses the 92SF is a great pistol, i don't shoot my 92 much but i like it a lot. Your best choice would be to get them both if it is possible.

·
Registered
673 Posts

I've owned both. They are both fine pistols. They are both very different.

Here is my opinion, YMMV

Don't buy either of those. Get yourself a Beretta 92A1. Why?

The 92A1 has an accessory rail. In a HD gun this is an advantage because you can mount a light/laser.

The 92A1 has a dovetailed front sight. This means that you can mount front/rear tritium night sights on the 92A1 without having to send it off to a custom shop to have a front night sight mounted as you'd have to with the 92fs.

While I am not fond of safeties, I do like them on a bump in the night gun. Again, this is personal preference. I can keep a round in the chamber, safety on. I know that when I wake up startled, my fine motor control isn't instantly there but gross motor control is. Reaching into a drawer or bedside holster in a dark room, I don't want to unintentionally put my finger on the trigger. I didn't trust msyelf keeping one in the pipe with the Glock safe action trigger.

While I am ambivalent about DA triggers, I do appreciate them in a bump in the night gun. If I don't use the safety, there is still that long DA trigger pull. I practiced shooting DA and could put that first round on target.

The 90-series Beretta feels as if the slide is on greased bearings. It is the smoothest racking slide I've ever felt. The single action trigger is great.

Now I'll throw in a monkey wrench....

The difference going from DA to SA can be challenging for some. The constant action striker fired system is great because the trigger is always the same. You can practice with a repeatable, constant trigger.

Glock has no safety. The Beretta has a slide mounted safety. I find the slide mounted safety a bit oddly positioned.

Even with the Glock Gen4 backstrap system, the grip still feels like a 2X4. The Beretta 92 is just a single size grip.

Have you considered a S&W M&P 9fs w/safety? The S&W M&P pistol ergonomics are superb. It has a constant action trigger. The safety is frame mounted and very similar to a 1911. The safety is very positive, and more instinctive to engage/disentage with your thumb. The S&W is also fully ambidextrous. It also has an accessory rail.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Have you considered a S&W M&P 9fs w/safety? The S&W M&P pistol ergonomics are superb. It has a constant action trigger. The safety is frame mounted and very similar to a 1911. The safety is very positive, and more instinctive to engage/disentage with your thumb. The S&W is also fully ambidextrous. It also has an accessory rail.
Oh boy... Now you've gone and done it. You just had to throw in a third option, didn't you? :D

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts

If you're not going to conceal carry it, I'd go with the Beretta. But if you want to carry it now or later on, I'd go with the Glock. Besides, Glocks look best when they're concealed! :D

Beretta's are a work of art. They're extremely well made, very reliable and as a home defense gun they have that DA/SA trigger so you can keep a round chambered with the hammer down. They also have an excellent decocker, which I kind of like. I wish more guns had them. The way Beretta's works is that the mechanism that would fire the gun rolls 45 degrees and makes it impossible for a hammer fired accidental discharge. Beretta's are a large gun for what they are. However, that extra mass makes them excellent shooters with lower recoil and quicker sight reacquistion. And they hold their resale very well!

I'm not a Glock guy, but I know a little about them. So I'm sure you'll get more advice about Glocks from others. To me a Beretta is a Ferrari which makes the Glock a delivery van. Glocks reputation is built on them doing what they're supposed to every time. They are extremely reliable. However, they only have a trigger safety and as such, have a longer, harder trigger pull, which can be modified, but remember, it has no other safeties. Everybody makes aftermarket parts and accessories for Glocks. And the same caliber magazine will work in any same caliber Glock (almost). I don't think you can put a G26 mag in a G17. If you ever need a part... any part for your Glock, there are multitues of places to get it. I personally don't care for Glock sights, but there's a ton of aftermarket sights made for them. They're basic, simple, reliable and accurate. They also have a slightly different grip angle than almost every other semi-auto on the market. Some say it points better. I couldn't tell.

But definitely try and shoot both before you make your decision. They're both great guns, even if the Glock did get hit with the ugly stick! :rolleyes:

Besides, picking them out is half the fun!

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts