Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 42 and belong to a couple Glock groups on Facebook and the overwhelming discussions concern the 42's issues with function and reliability! My 42 has had limited use (under 50 rounds) and I've no issues so far using a 95gr FMJ.

Anyone here have personal experience with this pistol?

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I own a 42 and belong to a couple Glock groups on Facebook and the overwhelming discussions concern the 42's issues with function and reliability! My 42 has had limited use (under 50 rounds) and I've no issues so far using a 95gr FMJ.

Anyone here have personal experience with this pistol?
Well, you don't have to be a member of forums and discussion groups for long to figure out they tend to be magnets for folks who love to complain.

Seriously, every company produces a few duds, and Glock is no exception. Add in the fact that people experiencing issues are far more likely to post about them than are people who are happy, and you end up with a very distorted picture of any given product.

I seriously doubt that the G42 is any less reliable than the rest of Glock's lineup.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine has over 600 rounds thru it now, with zero malfunctions. FMJ and Golden Sabers feed , fire, and extraxt with no issues to date. Purchased late 2014.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There is something about 380, in my opinion, that makes it difficult to design around. Those old big heavy Walther PPK's seem to always have a good reputation, but the smaller designs always seemed to struggle to cycle reliably. There's a lot of recoil in a 380. I always sigh when I hear a man buying a little 380 for his wife. It's the worst possible choice in my opinion and shows an ignorance of physics. Automatics suffer from "limp wrist" already. If an inexperienced shooter isn't gripping the diminutive, lightweight 380 firmly, it's likely to malfunction.

I have no experience with the Glock, so don't take this as criticism of their platform. I agree with above, the forums tend to be magnets for complaints about guns, gun models, gun manufacturers, etc. You have to take that with a grain of salt. If your gun is running well, don't buy into internet woes that disagree with what you are actually seeing in the real world.

By the way, I know a couple of surveyors here in Texas.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
not with the G42, but my G20 and G29 gave me fits until I began lubricating with a very light coat of grease. no issue since.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
I was shooting about a year ago with a friend who had a G42. He had feeding issues. Other websites have said that there were at least two updates to the G42 magazines.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I own a G42 and it has digested every type of ammo I've fed it. Poor choice for women, not at all. My wife is 5'3" and has tiny hands and she can shoot it all day. Muzzle flip is totally controllable if you keep your forearms relaxed. Breath and squeeze.There is a You Tube video out there with women test shooting 380's, all the women selected the G42 over the other pistols which included the Ruger LCP.

·
Registered
58 Posts
...all the women selected the G42 over the other pistols which included the Ruger LCP.
I've never shot an LCP, but I have shot the Kel-Tec P3AT, which if I understand correctly is pretty much identical. I hated shooting it. Recoil was abusive. Slide bite was atrocious. I have no problem with shooting stout 357 or even 44 Magnum. 45ACP is an all day sucker. But 380 in a small gun is not my idea of fun.

Glad to hear your wife does well with the G42. Like I said, I've never shot one. I think there are some inherent difficulties in creating a gun that shoots 380 reliably. Glad to hear that this is not the case for yours.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My daughter is petite. She wanted a carry pistol and so we went a try some at the range.

Tested were My LCP, Kahr cm9 and shield. I rented the g19 42,43 and the .38 special version of the LCR

We did it over a few days ; she hated the LCP , Kahr and g43.

She was so-so on the g 19 but liked the LCR and 42.

She went with the 42 as the best in terms of accuracy (best by far) , easy to load and fit her hand well.

No drama as far as feeding issues etc. we ran about 300 rounds through it of LAX 380

It's a nice pistol. I shot it much better than the 43 as well. I am unsure why as they are about the same size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts