Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoyed my first range session with the new carbine running and shooting well. I am now considering switching to Glock magazines to get more variety for less cost than Ruger offers.

If anyone has used both Ruger and Glock magazines in the PCC, is there any differences in their function or performance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Emperor
883 Posts
I haven't even tried the single Ruger magazine that came with my PCC.

I have used Glock 17 and 19 factory magazines in the PCC with no issues whatsoever. Since I already own a Glock 19 and do not own a Ruger pistol it made little sense to buy additional Ruger magazines.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Shouldn't be any difference in performance and if you own Glock 9s, it makes sense to switch over to Glock mags. If you don't own any Glock handguns, just get a couple more Ruger mags and your done.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Shouldn't be any difference in performance and if you own Glock 9s, it makes sense to switch over to Glock mags. If you don't own any Glock handguns, just get a couple more Ruger mags and your done.
I use Glock mags in mine. I live in Commiefornia. Being a retired LEO I can keep and use the High Cap Glock 19 and 17 mags from when I carried Glocks as an LEO. If I switch to Rugers, I would be stuck with 10 rounders.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you don't already own a Glock I'd just stay with Ruger mags. I looked up cost of Glock vs Ruger and the fact it came with one Ruger mag already it just doesn't make sense to switch. The Ruger twin pack was less than $40 delivered. ProMag makes a 32 round mag, not a fan of Promag but I read where they work.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've used Magpul Glock mags in mine (10 and 21 round). Also the 33 round Glock and ETS (?) mags with no problems. I have not used the Ruger mag that came with the PCC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I shot my new PC9 today for the first time. I loved it. Really tight groups with a Sig Romeo 5 red dot. I used several 10 rd G26 mags, a few G19 15 rd mags and a 21 rd magpul aftermarket mag. Was shooting mostly Winchester white box 115gr FMJ range jacket and also some magtech 115 GR fmj. A few hundred rounds with all the different glock mags and ammo and no misfires or malfunctions. Didn't try the ruger mag. Lots of fun and performed really well.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I have a SR9/& 9c, & many extra mags for them. Both 10rd & 17rd mags (factory mags) as well as 1 32rd Promag (that works well). My Glock on the other hand is a G30s which is chambered in .45acp. I got 3 33rd Glock factory mags when I got my PCC9 carbine & ordered 2 more from Midway. The Midway mags look slightly different than the ones my lgs sold me but are supposedly factory mags as well. I had stove pipe issues with my carbine at first but they seemed to have cleared up, I suspect break in issues. I’ve run both Ruger & my 33rd Glock mags with similar results. My last range session I had one stove pipe malfunction out of 200rds running the Glock mags. The last time I ran my Ruger mags I had no malfunctions shooting almost 300rds. When at the range I like the 33rder’s but if I had to use the rifle in a camping/survival situation I’d probably use the Ruger mags in conjunction with my pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Both Ruger and Glock and Glock-compatible (ETS) magazines have worked flawlessly for me as far as feeding is concerned. After about 5K rounds shooting steel and IDPA matches with my PC Carbine, I prefer the Ruger magazines.

This may not be important to most people, but releasing a Glock magazine requires considerably less pressure on the magazine release button than does releasing a Ruger magazine. (The mechanics that secure the magazines are different.) I'm right-handed, but in IDPA matches I switch the PCC to shoot left-handed when I have to shoot from the left side of a barricade. In three different matches I inadvertently brushed the mag release in making the transfer from right to left and dropped the magazine while using Glock and ETS magazines.

The 17-round Ruger magazines are really high quality. I believe they're made by Mec-Gar. I missed my 31-round ETS magazine. So, I use a ProMag SR9 32-round magazine. (It will actually hold 36 rounds, but I just load 30 -- the legal max for PCC in IDPA.) The ProMag does approach the quality of the Ruger magazines or the ETS, but it's working. These magazines require enough more pressure on the button to release them that I'm no longer concerned with accidental magazine drops.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Haven't tried my Ruger mags yet although I have five - the one that came with the rifle and two twin packs (under $40/pack). Since my annual road trip took me through CA, I took three 10 rd Glock 26 mags along. Now that I'm back in Texas, I'll load up those Ruger mags and burn through some of my 9mm inventory.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The Ruger SR9 magazine that comes with the pccarbine has a new/strong spring. I would not expect old/cycled Glock 9mm magazines to be as reliable...or fair to compare. New springs are cheap and make a well cycled magazine worth using/keeping for a new firearm.

I use Glock magazines and only suspect one of my Glock magazines to have a weak spring causing Malfunction issues. So I ordered new springs. I also have a Glock 9mm pistol and many magazines so I’m sticking with the Glock Mag Well setup.

Enjoy your new PCC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry, can't help answer questions..... but I'm also curious about this.

Are new glock mags as reliable? If I get a glock some day (which I might? maybe?) It would be nicer to be able to share magazines.

But I do NOT want a less reliable gun. I can get Ruger Security 9 magazines for about $18 each (2-packs for $35). If they are more reliable than glocks, I should just order a bunch of them.

Is there any consensus on this? I did notice the PC9 magazines that came with the gun are STIFF to the point of being painful to load rounds.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts