Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I own a Glock 23 Gen 3 and was wondering what are the best sights for conceal carry? What would you guys suggest?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Trijicon HD XR if you can or want to afford them. Truglo tritium pro if you want something cheaper, two of my go to sights.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
When I first got involved with Glocks, I tried several different tritium sights and found that between Meprolight, Trijicon, XS Sights, etc, I preferred the Meprolight...which were Glock OEM tritium night sights at the time.
Lately, though, I've found that I prefer the Ameriglo which has the green tritium front sight with the orange outer ring (provides increased daytime visibility) combined with the blacked-out Hackathorn rear combat sight!
Sight acquisition is quick, day or night...and the cost is right around $60, for the set, at Brownells, via eBay, etc.

Brownells: AMERIGLO HACKATHORN NIGHT SIGHT SETS FOR GLOCK® | Brownells

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have the Trijicon Bright and Tough sights on my G30SF with the Novak-style rear right and the Trijicon Bright and Tough sights on the wife's G42 with the standard rear sight. They are easy to acquire, and their profiles don't affect my draw or the fit in any holsters we use.

Nevertheless, I would recommend Ameriglo sights because the front sights for the Trijicons fit loosely in the slide when installed, so I had to keep them straight as I screwed them down. The Ameriglos, from what the guy at the Pawn Shop FFL told me as he straightened the front sight on the G42, which arrived from the Glock Store crooked, Ameriglos fit the way a Dawson Precision sight would fit.

Given that I have had this experience with the Trijicon front sights on two radically different Glocks, I'm inclined to lend some credibility to what he said, given that he has seen the results of both brands of sights being installed on Glocks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sights are one of those things that is very personal and might even vary from gun to gun and application to application among the same user. No one can really tell you which is 'the best'. You really just have to try em out for yourself.

I tend to prefer some variation of the 3 dot sight.

I really like the Sig X-Ray 3 sights. The kind with a high viz green front w/ tritium, blackened rear with 2 dot tritium inserts.

I also like the Trijicon 3 dot tritium sights. A green tritium front with yellow tritium rears really pops with white outlines around the dots.

Sigl-ight 3 dot tritium green sights with a white outline are okay. Maybe not my favorite but they work alright.

3 dot white sights will do the trick, too.

On my Glock17 I run Tru-Glo Fiberoptic sights. Red front dot with green rear dots. Seem nice and sturdy. Pop brilliantly bright with any sort of overhead light source at all.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Just put a Truglo front on my 23. Left the stock rear as is. If I can see the front green glow, I know I’m in the rear notch and I’m good.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The first Glock I got, G20, I went to shoot it the first time and the rear sight fell out. On another Glock I have, G41, the rear pushed out with my finger when I went to change it out. And I have personally seen other cases of the stock plastic sights failing. I don't know why, especially for the money you spend on a Glock, they put cheap plastic sights on them, Canik puts on Warren all metal sights stock. I don't even consider stock plastic sights an option and I would never carry a Glock with the stock plastic sights but that's just me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
XS Big Dots are great because they can be picked up easily. I only switched because I got a red dot and needed suppressor height sights afterwards. Let me know if you're interested in buying mine. Comes with a backup rear sight. I'll make you a deal.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Do you really need sights for conceal carry? By the time you've lined up your target using the sights you could be dead!
Not every shot you might have to take will be at point-blank range. You are responsible for every bullet that leaves your barrel, and if you don't use your sights beyond a certain distance, you'll be likelier to NYPD a bystander right in the gut, but you won't have qualified immunity to save you from criminal and civil liability.

Set up a few torsoe targets close to each other, and scatter them between seven to 12 yards; then, throw a few othersa few feet to the left and right of the bad guy target, five yards beyond it. Shoot the bad guy target at 10 yards without sights, without nailing one of the bystander targets. When you end up clipping bystanders, you'll understand why sights are necessary.

Here's another. Set a torsoe target up at 15 yards. Shoot that without sights.

Combat shooting is combat shooting, whether you're carrying openly on duty or carrying concealed as a private citizen.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Sights come in to play when you are out of grab range. (6'-9') I start my drill at face to face and will have 2 center mass shots before I am out far enough to use sights. I try to get distance as fast as possible to get to the sights. Major point here is practice. I am normally at the range at least once a week.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts