Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was at the outdoor range last weekend shooting trap/pistol range/plinking range. Me and my buddy were shooting trap for a while and then moved over to the pistol range. We were the only two at the pistol range so we were midway through and this guy walks up with his Glock in a holster (mind you no concealed carry in IL)and a computer hard drive in hand. He asks "you mind if I shoot this?" I say go ahead. He proceeds to place the hard drive on the wooden target stand and unloads a full clip into this hard drive. He then reloads and walks up to the hard drive on the ground and unloads another clip at about 5 feet in to the hard drive. He then picked it up and tossed it in the trash can said "Thanks" and went on his way. Me and my friend just looked at each other like what the heck was that all about. Very strange indeed.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
There has been a few times i have wanted to do that! My 13 yoa daughter knows more about computers than i do and at times i get quite frustrated.
No matter how hard i hit the keys this thing will still not do what i want! I also tried to do a yahoo geocities home page for myself to post pics and stuff about my county---after two weeks i declared myself an idiot and stopped.
Maybe i ought to get one of those computers for dummies books.

Then again, i don't use electronic scales either. Still use lee dippers and a regular scale.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
He's probably used that hard drive for many years and had acquired years of data on it, or it contained the only copy of his nearly completed thesis when the drive decided to die. Unlike everything else in your computer when something dies, you can replace it and be back to normal with a few hours, when the hard drive dies, you lose ALL your data! Without backups, it can take YEARS to recover from this type of failure. It generates a lot of testosterone and you want vengeance, something has to pay for it.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I thought about gettin a patent on this:
1. Build a "hard pad" on top of the tower.
2. get a hammer
3. Strike the top of the tower hard once to turn on
4. Strike twice to cut off.

I believe that this would be great stress reduction.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
deputy125 you tickle me I declared myself an idiot, and use a hammer to turn your computer on and off.
I have in the passed thought about spraying water in the tower just to watch it burn up. These computers can really get to ya.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"I have in the passed thought about spraying water in the tower just to watch it burn up."-snuffy
hahaha, nice. I knew this kid in college who decided to clean his keyboard by dumping it into a bucket of water while still plugged in to the computer [xx(]. Lets just say "hs kybrd ws nvr th sam"

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Our printer went out a while back and daughter needed to type a paper for school. Broke out the typewriter. She took one look and decided to go to a friends's house and use their computer.

Oh well, got to her young enough where she is not prejudiced against iron sights or black powder.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
deputy125,
Now you know there is no spell check or border set ups ona typewritter. I never took typing in high school never thought I would need it. but I have found out since I wish I would have taken it. I have done pretty good for me I use the H&P methiod of typing. Its not the best but it works for me.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I bought a Toshiba lap top a couple of months ago with the new Vista. After four days, my wife and I wanted to use that hammer, deputy, but we were thinking a sledge hammer. I took the Toshiba back to Office Max and had my Dell people here in town order me a new Inspiron wide screen laptop with Windows XP Home Edition. It took three weeks to get it, but I got my desired Home Edition instead of Vista. I hope I can use it for five years before I am forced to learn Vista. Hats off to you that are computer literate. I am not.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Me, neither, and I have wanted to burn, shoot, and blast my computer many times-all I've learned to do is email and post...call in my kids when I need to put something from here over there or send it somewhere...got a new Dell last year but still have dialup-even an old, slow, dog gets frustrated waiting for it, and I get more than my share of red Xs...still, I wouldn't have met all of you guys without it...worth the trouble...and someday I may take a night class to learn more...but don't hold your breath....

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Snuffy

deputy125,
Now you know there is no spell check or border set ups ona typewritter. I never took typing in high school never thought I would need it. but I have found out since I wish I would have taken it. I have done pretty good for me I use the H&P methiod of typing. Its not the best but it works for me.
Not familar with the h p method, is that the same thing as the "seek and ye shall find" method?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Shooting things that aggravate you would help high blood pressure. I can't count how many times I have wanted to shoot my computer, commuter car, furnace, and that stupid lawnmower that needs the cord yanked on two hundred and fity times to start.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I know that there is a lot of truth/humor in these posts, but the best way to render data on a hard drive NON-RECOVERABLE, is to make the drive non-readable. Lots of folks remove and destroy the drives before scrapping old computers to protect their privacy....

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
The only way to remove personal data from a hard disk is to write over the sectors with software that writes "zeros" or "ones" to every sector on the drive... even drives that have been shot can have some, not all, data still read. Just move the platters to a working drive of the same model...

·
Registered
191 Posts
quote:Originally posted by RNettles

The only way to remove personal data from a hard disk is to write over the sectors with software that writes "zeros" or "ones" to every sector on the drive... even drives that have been shot can have some, not all, data still read. Just move the platters to a working drive of the same model...
That would be my guess. I suspect that the man knew enough about his hard drive to know about data recovery software. There was probably something on there he wanted no chance of recovery and thought this was the best way to do it. Personally, I'd disassemble it and torch the beast. BTW, I'm no computer guru either. I'm just a half a step above the H&P method and I even had typing in high school. However, you don't use it, you lose it. I'm very happy when my computer does the same thing every time. Even if it isn't the best or proper way to do something, at least it's repeatable.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hehe. I may sound like a computer geek, but having about 30 machines at home, I still have no problem with nerves when some of them occasionally gone crazy. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts