Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a Bible thumper..in fact I have no "organized religion"...but God allowed me to make a U turn in my life some 35 years ago...I'm an old guy today and would have probably not made to 50 the way things were going..hard, fast living, daily boozing, etc...but I'm one of the really lucky ones..Here is a picture of the old duffer and my 78th birthday gang...with a picture of 4 generations...my Son, his 2 Daughters and the 2 Great Grandkids...My Son lived through the hell along with my other 2 kids (never any physical abuse..just a Dad that wasn't there) but the grandkids and great grandkids never saw me take a drink or raise any hell...and I pray every day they never have to witness that.

My Kids and I are great buddies today. Proud? Not sure it that is the word but very, very grateful.

Just happy today

Attachments

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Congratulations on getting and staying sober!

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's a great story. Amen you turned things around. God is great always!
Great picture of the family. God bless

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
:):):):)

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,406 Posts
(Belated?) Happy 78th birthday!

·
Premium Member
4,201 Posts
Happy birthday Opos! A day at a time.......

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Happy Birthday and congratulations. all of us need second chances. It is just a matter of whether or not we take advantage of them. Glad you did and I am sure your family is even happier about it.

·
Pony Soldier
8,628 Posts
Birthday greetings Opos.
A family to be proud of!!

Greg

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Life's chances...I believe in a second chance and a last chance.

Not all of us are fortunate enough to realize which is which when they present themselves.

Sounds like you made the right decision at the right time. ;)

Happy birthday opos, I hope your day is special and many more to ya!

Great pic of you and the family!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Happy Birthday Opos! Thanks for sharing the photo of the family - you have much for which to be thankful.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the nice words...I recall how proud my Mom was to be a great grandparent...I sort of didn't give it much credence nor thought but it's really special to have those little kids around and be able to be a part of it.

I am grateful..and I hope a bit humble....the thing that is on my mind often it that within just a few miles of my home where everything is rolling along pretty well....there are folks waking up in the morning with the bloodshot eyes, the terrible shakes and sweats..and the fears of facing the day without a "bracer" and wishing they didn't have to drink that day. I hope I never forget nor have to repeat that and I hope the people that are still having the problems can find a way out of the forest.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
Take it one day at a time. I have heard several former heavy drinkers that hey say I will not drink today. Then the same thing tommorow.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You are blessed !!! ... 'I have this thing' -BILL W

·
Registered
544 Posts
Opos, I live, and love, just to hear a story like yours. God has blessed me many times over in my lifetime, and I never fail to wonder where I would have been without Him! Are you "lucky" or blessed? One thing I have always believed was that trusting in luck is the same in believing in coincidence with nothing to back it up. How Blessed you are!
storm.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
June 21, 1980 was the first day on my path to sobriety. My Higher power removed my desire for a drink on that day.

I've been as fortunate as you and thousands of other that are part of the Fellowship.

My little Blue book is as dogeared as any in my step group.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

Betcha' I've said that every day of those 35 years and, on some days a lot more than once!!

Big man-hug buddy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts