Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a wonderful hunt last week. I didn't take a deer this trip, but two of my favorite young people got really nice ones. While I did carry a deer rifle and a rimfire handgun, I also carried a camera a couple of mornings. Most of the shots I made were just accompanied by the click of the shutter. There is so much beauty in the woods and I only captured a tiny bit of it.
Sky Red bellied Woodpecker Bird Woodpecker Beak
Plant Natural landscape Terrestrial animal Fawn Terrestrial plant
Plant Twig Trunk Wood Tree
Bird Phasianidae Beak Galliformes Plant
Grey Sky Tints and shades Wood Art
Vertebrate Carnivore Terrestrial animal Snout Tail
Bird Vertebrate Beak Terrestrial animal Grass
Vertebrate Mammal Fawn Terrestrial animal Whiskers

·
Registered
245 Posts
I decided this hunting season to forget the Shotgun for deer hunting and take a camera. I have some pic I will post later. Nice Buck, Turkey etc. Thanks for Posting. Lovely Pictures. (And I do not miss toting around that extra weight.) Not to mention I can actually hunt all year around NOW!

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided this hunting season to forget the Shotgun for deer hunting and take a camera. I have some pic I will post later. Nice Buck, Turkey etc. Thanks for Posting. Lovely Pictures. (And I do not miss toting around that extra weight.) Not to mention I can actually hunt all year around NOW!
I know what you mean about the weight. At one point I had four guests in camp hunting my best spots. I decided to hunt another area from a folding chair on the ground. I had a rifle, pistol, camera, Thermacell, and a chair all hanging off of me. I walked in before sunrise and thought that I was deep in the woods. I was tired of carrying all the gear so I set up behind some brush and waited for shooting light. Daylight revealed my truck parked only 150yds away! It didn't matter though as I had sat down right where all the deer were exiting the bedding area. I was covered up with does and yearlings. The problem is when I tried to raise my rifle it would bang into the camera. If I lifted the camera it would knock against the rifle. I kept getting busted every few minutes. One time I was looking down fiddling with my camera only to glance up and lock eyes with a nice doe ten feet away! I never got a shot or took a decent image despite seeing at least 13 deer. On a positive note, the walk back to the truck was easy in the daytime.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
That's incredible.
As a waterfowl hunter it was pretty cool. I work for an engineering company "part time" now and am registered as a professional engineer in several states. The picture is a cooling water pond in central Indiana that never freezes up. I got paid to do weekly inspections and have a bunch of photos like the one I posted. I saw birds I never get to see in my locale............It is a tough job, but somebody has got to do it.
Face Cloud Sky Water Smile

They gave me a heated Kubota UTV to do the inspection work. I made the best of it.

Water Sky Cloud Lake Black-and-white

Water Sky Bird Liquid Fluid

I kept pestering the guys at the power-plant to hook me up with a hunt. It was the best money I ever spent.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Water Atmosphere Fluid Sky Horizon

Here is something a little different. Sorry for the poor quality pic, it was an hour before first light.

We were sitting in my duck boat, along an island in the Ohio River. The ducks in the foreground are decoys. While we were waiting for the sun to come up, 2 deer swam just past the edge of the decoys and landed on the Island. They stood around and watched us till the sun came up, then they crept away.

We have almost hit them (not on purpose mind you) with the boat running up the river in the dark. Amazing creatures.

·
Exalted One
1,895 Posts
Love God's creations, and living on a 25-acre farm in the Wilderness of Virginia provides. Sadly, it had been over two weeks since I saw a deer, or rabbit, or squirrel. This morning, though, I saw two deer in our front yard, and neither one ran away as I drove our Mule down to the barn for morning chores.

A good start to a good day.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts