Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't hunted in a long, long time. Barely remember hunting at all, being a young boy standing in a field waiting for a dove to fly over.

But, largely in part due to my involvement in this forum, I've rekindled my fondness for shooting and guns after a three decade absence. I'm regularly enjoying target shooting with handguns and rifles, working on handgun defensive shooting and concealed carry, and have very much enjoyed dipping back into skeet and trap shooting of my youth. And most of my friends are sportsmen and big into upland bird hunting.

For Christmas my wife gave me a hunting vest and a gift card to a hunting preserve on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. The season ends end of March so my friend and I are going next Friday! He is an accomplished wingshooter and it'll be great to learn from him. But we have a guide with a dog, they'll be releasing 30 Chukar for us and I hope to hit at least one of them with my (already) trusty 16 ga. Winchester Model 12!

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
reminds me of that old commerical---"my wife, i think i'll keep her".

Sounds like its gonna be a good time and congrats for getting back into the huntin' fields!

Being a preserve, will you have to use steel shot or lead substitute?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
great your going to enjoy your self.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reminds me of that old commerical---"my wife, i think i'll keep her".

Sounds like its gonna be a good time and congrats for getting back into the huntin' fields!

Being a preserve, will you have to use steel shot or lead substitute?
I hope not because I'm not supposed to use steel in that ol' M12. But I did get a checklist emailed to me and it mentioned 7.5 or 8 shot for upland, and steel or non toxic for released mallard hunts. So I guess they just don't want lead in the water.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Eddie, are you sure you want to start what will become another bad habit? I mean you already fly fish and now you want to add bird hunting. You ever get to Kansas in November, I'll take you quail and phesant hunting. One of my other addictions.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Have a great time. My favorite hunting is upland birds. Especially dove and quail. Lets us know how it turns out (as if I have to prompt you!).

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Get a lead and keep the gun swinging you'll get a few. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Have a great time! I too am going pheasant hunting this Sunday and it will be my first time as well. My father in law has been hunting for years so learning from a pro is always nice. Have a great time and hunt safe!

·
Banned
186 Posts
Just remember a bird in the bush is worth two or something like that!
Have fun!!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Sounds fun. Hope you get a few.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Your wife loves and cherishes you. . . or she wants you away so she can go shopping! :D Have fun - we all know you will.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts