Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thinking of selling my SR9 and getting a SR40c for conceal carry. Is this the right decision? I just want what every one thinks or if anybody here has done the same thing. I understand that its totally my preference however I feel like it would be more comfortable concealing something a little more compact and not full size. thanks.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Madstyle1, I have an SR40 and really like it but felt it was big for conceal carry so I bought an SR40C and it is better for CCW but being a double stack magazine pistol it is still not very slim. I really like the features and functions of the SR9/SR40(C) and I do carry my SR40C but not as much as I would like too. I live in shorts and t-shirt year round here and found I was leaving the SR40C at home too often. I carry an LCR in my front pocket mostly now. If your climate and attire allows more concealment then you may be less concerned.

So yes, I agree with your thought that the SR40C would be better but you may also want to look at a single stack magazine pistol such as a S&W M&P Shield in .40S&W. The Shield has a similar price point. (I'm a Ruger guy and loyal to the brand but S&W has been known to turn out a decent gun now and then.....:rolleyes:)

Wave

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Better stopping power.
I've never shot .40 cal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in california so during summer its shorts and t-shirt, winter time its sweater and jeans...

Ill look into it more...

I am heavily considering the sr40c

·
/Brownster/Blk Dynamite
1,128 Posts
I went from an sr40c to an sr9c and it was a much better move. I can stay on target better and it's more fun to shoot. After about 50-60 rounds cont. fire out of the sr40c my hands were pretty nuked. It's your decision though. I'd recommend finding a range that has both guns for rent and try them both out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I already purchased an 1911 and have 2 shotguns.. no need for to have 3 handguns and 2 shotguns if I own both models.. lol

·
Registered
838 Posts
I carry a SR9c or SR40c in cool weather, they are both great pistols and the shorter mags are what make them easier to CC, the length is not that much of an issue. In warmer weather i go to a LC9 or if really warm an LCP they are much better to conceal. I like the SR9 and SR40 for range use and home defense, they are also great for open carry. You may not need both, but you should determine how much you enjoy both before you part with the SR9.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sad to say i have parted ways with my SR9... i guess with ruger itself. I did sell my SR9 but didnt get the the SR40c.

I ended up choosing a kimber 1911 pro carry II as my ccw ... its pretty much bitter sweet as i really loved my SR9.

·
Registered
201 Posts
SR9c would be a better choice in my opinion for the stated purpose of a CCW. I'm not a big fan of the .40 caliber though, so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got an LC9 and an SR 40. the 9 is in my pocket all the time, the 40 is an outside wb carry, but isnt really concealed that much. The 9 has a Crimson Trace, and hollow points, doesnt miss, fires quick and will get a full mag out pretty quick, with total accuracy.

I love the 40, but it's just too big and heavy for concealed carry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts