Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to build a retro AR from a stripped lower I picked up from a gun show.

Parts used:
Delton 20" lightweight pencil barrel 1x9 twist with m4 feedramps on extension
Delton Stripped Lower receiver
Numrich, original Colt Triangle handguards
Delton Upper Receiver with m4 feedramps
All Dpms lower parts
Bolt Carrier assembly chrome delton MPI
RRA A2 stock, and pistol grip
Dpms 3 prong flashider

·
"The Real Deal"
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, wanted the feel of the old A1 but the functionality of the A2, so its a mix of both. It is the lightest AR I own now, lighter than the 16" car's I also own, and way lighter than the A4 standard I have with its Hbar.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Very cool...love the old school look.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very cool...love the old school look.
So do I, the old school look always appealed to me. This is my version of a hot rod, the old original look on the outside with the performance parts under the hood.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Fantastic AR! I've always had a soft spot for these. Congrats on the great build!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Very very nice! I always wondered if they made a A1 foreend for AR platforms. Seems few people go that route, but it's the path I'd take if given the choice. I've always liked the looks of the A1. May have to save your "recipe" for the future, should I ever have the desire for an AR build.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Very nice! I still like the old triangle front hand guard look and feel.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all, I am really happy with it, its a gun I had planned to build 7 ar's ago, its also what I think of when I hear the words AR-15. If any of you guys eventually want to build your own, PM me I will get you the list of parts that I used. I had originally wanted to 5 or 6 years ago, put the triangles on my RRA standard A4, but since it has an Hbar the heat shields were to small in diameter to accomidate the Hbar, so it still has the A2 round handguards to this day. But that led me to this one, and its great and lightweight. Also if you guys are looking for the handguards I purchased them from Numrich for $8.35 per half, little wear on them but still acceptable. I did find it harder to track down the triangles, seems the supply of them must be low.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Tacky looking good. You'll have to bring it to the range next time so I can check it out. You sure love your black rifles. Now you need a pink one LOL. You have to keep momma happy.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tacky looking good. You'll have to bring it to the range next time so I can check it out. You sure love your black rifles. Now you need a pink one LOL. You have to keep momma happy.
Will do, will let you squeeze off a few rounds with her if you'd like. As for the pink gun she already has one, and if she wants another she will be buying it.:D Then I will wrench on it for her.:rolleyes:

·
Ironhat
287 Posts
So do I, the old school look always appealed to me. This is my version of a hot rod, the old original look on the outside with the performance parts under the hood.
Rat Rod comes to mind. The flat black and stripped to the bone of those old rods. Pure function for rockin' n' rollin'!!:D

·
"The Real Deal"
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You know that brings up an interesting question that I have never heard in any of my many years studying firearms, and the Stoner rifle in particular. I wonder why the M16A1 handguards weren't used on the A2 or later models. I mean I own both and the Triangle handguard feels better to my hands than the newer round A2 and later forearms. My newer A4 standard Hbar RRA has the same triangle handguard cap behind the front sight post, but has the new A2 round forearm, and I have only seen the round handguard caps on the midlength and car length rifles. I wonder if it was a barrel heat issue? Or maybe the round A2 was stronger? What was the improvement? Anybody care to share some knowledge of why this was done?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Nice build. Looks alot like the one I used a whole bunch of years ago.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice build. Looks alot like the one I used a whole bunch of years ago.
Thanks bunches, I wanted it to be as close to the original feel of the original, without spending a fortune on an original. It has definately made me happy.:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts