Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a DAO older style hammer a while back for my SP101 & am going to convert it to DAO with the newer MIM parts IF I can make it work out
While I sit watching this congressional hearing I will see if it will work & IF I have enough shims left in my stash to shim the hammer dog & hammer
I want to do it this way SO I can convert it back to SA/DA any time I want too
More to come~~~

·
Registered
Security Six, GP100
61 Posts
I see nothing wrong with someone wanting their carry pistol DAO. Bobbing the hammer gives you a snag free draw and some people don’t see the sense of a single action on a defensive pistol. I’m not one of those people though as I like having the option to cock the hammer but for those that want DAO more power to them

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I shimmed the hammer dog & the older DAO hammer & installed
It didn't work well; the gun would lock up every 15-20 cycles of the cylinder
I'm sure it was the hammer dog needing to be rounded or smoothed
I just removed the hammer & went back to the DA/SA hammer
Don't think I will mess with it again as it's perfect "AS IS"
Might just sell the hammer + the one I have for a Blackhawh NM

I was busy repairing a Takamine Acoustic guitar & it was also giving me troubles
Stayed awake all night last night, It's 8:30am now
Going to bed after I run my four dogs
Gary

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I thought about converting my SP101 to dao using a hacksaw and file. I decided to buy an LCR 38 P+ instead. Much lighter and dao for better pocket carry.

Another option is to send it back to Ruger and pay to have the factory install a dao hammer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I see nothing wrong with someone wanting their carry pistol DAO. Bobbing the hammer gives you a snag free draw and some people don’t see the sense of a single action on a defensive pistol. I’m not one of those people though as I like having the option to cock the hammer but for those that want DAO more power to them
Exactly. I have a 2” Sp101 with the factory bobbed hammer that I carry for self-defence. The bobbed hammer makes for a better snag free draw, and the double action only forces me to practice with it that way, and removes the temptation to attempt to cock the hammer in a stressful self defense situation and the possibility of an unintentional discharge due to nerves, and the corresponding problems that could bring.
I also have the 3” SP101 with the DA/SA hammer I use for “woods” carry.
I have swapped the hammers between the two several times, and each hammer works fine in each pistol with no shimming or other work required, but always go back to the bobbed hammer in the 2” SP101 for the reasons stated.

·
Administrator
23,406 Posts
If you pocket carry the holster follows until it gets to the top of the pocket and then the firearm pulls free, Never snagged on me. Other carry methods thumb over the hammer.

Reactions: Sr40ken

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
An SP101 is too heavy & large to pocket carry IMO
Even a bit smaller & hammerless revolver just don't work for pocket carry for me
I have had Airweight & Airlite J frames that could be used for pocket carry but they also were too large
A Ruger SP101 is a tank & way too heavy for such carry option
The DAO hammer just didn't work out on the MIM model, still unsure why...
I'll have a look at it later & see...

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,581 Posts
If you pocket carry the holster follows until it gets to the top of the pocket and then the firearm pulls free, Never snagged on me. Other carry methods thumb over the hammer.
I switched to a DAO gun with covered hammer (Kimber) because as much as I train, I feared a snag in a moment of tunnel-vision stress, and would forget to put my thumb over that hammer. The new gun is snag-proof, if not idiot—proof ;)

I will disagree with the OP who said the SP101 is too heavy or large for pocket carry. That was a gun I was considering. With the right grips and belt, a Daltech Force steel core, I can carry a heavy snub all day long and forget it is there. I don’t like lightweight snub-noses because of the recoil with a heavy load.

I dress for the gun, too. Jeans and shorts, no. Chinos or khakis? All day long.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I bobbed the hammer on my original SP101. And, removed the SA shelf.

Then years later, decided I wanted a with a spur. Finally found one.

There may be some fitting involved with the DA Fly for a correct trigger pull.

I wound up buying a trigger on EBay also. So, I can switch out. But, it’s the hammer and trigger. The SA notch and DA Fly are perfectly fitted for each set.

·
Retired
208 Posts
Also consider that, if you do it yourself the company may not stand behind it anymore. A phone call may be a thing to think about.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
A phone call may be a thing to think about.
I did that a few years back. Asked if they would sell a spurless hammer for an SP-101, answer was no. Asked if I could ship it back to be converted on my dime, answer was no. Ended up having a gunsmith bob the hammer, and searched for a used hammer to have for reconversion but never found one.

OP: You had the right idea getting the bobbed hammer and having the original for returning it to original condition. Although it didn't work out it was worth a try and you have the option to try again.

·
Retired
208 Posts
I did that a few years back. Asked if they would sell a spurless hammer for an SP-101, answer was no. Asked if I could ship it back to be converted on my dime, answer was no. Ended up having a gunsmith bob the hammer, and searched for a used hammer to have for reconversion but never found one.

OP: You had the right idea getting the bobbed hammer and having the original for returning it to original condition. Although it didn't work out it was worth a try and you have the option to try again.
[/QUOTE Have you had to send it back for anything yet?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts