Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's an 05 GP100 3" with the wood insert grips. I did have a 70's Model 65 or 66 Taurus at one time but never really shoot it much so don't know much about a 38/357. So what is the best ammo, if I can find some, don't reload and do I need to go ahead and order the Houge grips? Hope to get it later this week.

·
Super Moderator
21,484 Posts
I shoot a variety of my own reloads but like to stick with 158 gr either JHP or LSWC's. Just my preference. Once you get it try a variety to see what it shoots well. My guess is you'll have several good accuracy options to choose from.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
+1 for terry_p....I mainly shoot Rainier plated or SWC 158 grainers. You won't need to go to the Hogues. I took my Hogues off and went with the Lett grips like what your's is coming with. Here are my 3", 1 with the full size grip and the other with the compact grips.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Congratulations Steve - that's a fine revolver choice. Try the grips you have first - you may like them just fine and can do without the Hogue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can't imagine preferring the Hogues to the original grips. Some folks do, but I find both the large and small original Lett grips to be the cat's pajamas. I've got several extra sets for GPs that I don't own yet!

Great revolver! For just plinking around, there is nothing wrong with cheap .38 Special ammo. I carry Hydra Shok .357 with the 158 grain bullet in mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts