Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna hit the range tomorrow with my M77 MKII SS in 30-06 it sports a Burris FFII Balisic Plex Ret, dang its a beauty. Then I'm gonna get my original 1876 Remington Rolling Block in 45-90 all fired up... it still pours it on with plenty of smackdown using a 510-gr booolit.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thanks for the warning on the -06.....I'll have my ears plugged---what kind of noise is the .45-70 (or 90) ??? A crack or a roar???

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thunder Rolls as they say..... with about 80.0 gr of black powder under that 510-gr boooolit.

Here's a pic of my 76 Rollin Block on one of my favorite blankets without its target sights all set up to go huntin. Got to throw in a pic of my M77, MKII SS 30-06 as well.

I don't shoot the 06 much, I've been thinkin about tradin it off for a good lever gun :D cuz they just pack better on a horse.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by RNettles

Man... Looks like a sore shoulder waitin' to happen...:D
Actually no, the Rolling Block weighs in at 11.5 pounds :D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Probably about 7 1/2 pounds??? I'd rather have the cannon-I wouldn't take an -06 as a gift....+1 on trading for a levergun. If that's a .45-90, not -70----tell me the difference? Is that a buffalo rifle, replica, or what???Reminds me of the rifle Wetzel carried in the Zane Grey book-he carried a big long one and a lighter one-can't remember the title-lots were written in your neck of the woods, JB-have you read them????

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The differance in the 45-70 aka 45-2.1" and the 45-90 aka 45-2.4" is case length. Here is an example of two cartridges loaded with smokeless loads using Accurate Arms 5744 powder both using a 405-gr JSP bullet. In the #1 45-70 and 45-90 side by side. #2 45-90 with unloaded 405-gr JSP. #3 all 45-90 loadings from 350-gr to 510-gr loadings.

A jacketed bullet is nothing more than a pure lead bullet that is copper patched, that replaced the paper patch idea of old.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Sorry I missed the word original---wow-huge shell-big bullet-is the recoil like a 12 ga. slug gun or worse? Very intereested in how far you shoot and how tight it prints--overall length----this would not have been a soldier's gun-but maybe a hunters' -right---new world of questions!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

Sorry I missed the word original---wow-huge shell-big bullet-is the recoil like a 12 ga. slug gun or worse?
I can say, it has thump but with BPCR loads its more of a firm push shooting off cross-stix.

quote:Very intereested in how far you shoot and how tight it prints--overall length----this would not have been a soldier's gun-but maybe a hunters' -right---new world of questions!!
Here is my Rolling Block with its target sights on.

The barrel is 32" and full heavy octagon the over all length is approx 48.5" and weighs 11.5 pounds. With the Ukrainian Soule Sight I can shoot out to 1200 yrds but have kept it down to 750 yrds. It's previous owner was shooting in matches at 1,000 yrds with consistant hits on the target. Consistancy is the key when loading black powder cartridge loads... consistant powder compression etc.

More Rolling Block rifles were issued world wide than any other rifle for military use, and by the time the C Sharps was on the scene for the great bison harvest there were over 60,000 already in the hands of many countries in Europe and South America, Mexico and yes even here in the United States.

Remington is the OLDEST firearms company in America. Here is an old add for Remington.

And another one...

One day after work, I took several of the guy's I work with out to the range. I set up a 1/8" steel plate that was painted orange and set it up at 200 yards, rechecked with range finder. The following picture shows the result of using a 510-gr Bison Buster bullet and 80.0 gr of Goex FFg.

As you can see the hole is pretty much centered and my target sights were the only thing used. With results like this you walk away smiling.... oh yes, the guy's were in shock and awe, and it was hard wiping the smile from my face.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Looks like some mighty fine shootin' JB. I'm afraid that even if I had the skill, (which I don't) my old eyes wouldn't let me do that with iron sights.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

quote:Originally posted by rman

Looks like some mighty fine shootin' JB. I'm afraid that even if I had the skill, (which I don't) my old eyes wouldn't let me do that with iron sights.
Rman, my eyes are gettin bad as well.... I'll be 51 my next B-day, so for guy's like us they have a great change over.... its called the WM Malcomlm Telescopic Sight. Here is one on a Rolling Block rifle

And another one like it on a Lonestar Rolling Block rifle

Here is what it looks like off the rifles...

Your right to left windage is located up front and the up and down is located towards the back of the scope. There is no hold over like with a normal scope like most hunting rifles. When these are adjusted, you are always on a direct hold on your target, and these are 6x telescopic sights.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
You have some serious toys! Looks like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Never been a rifleman, but to reach out that far and thump something that hard does make the blood bubble a bit!!!! Very interesting....and you load in black powder and in smokeless-any accuracy improvement with smokeless?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm headed to the range right now. I was gonna sit here and get to ten posts, but I need to sight in that Redfield.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts