Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried using Goo Gone to clean firearms? This cytrus oil based cleaning liquid is very popular with air gun folks. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with using it on powder burners.

This being a plant based product may be safer than all the petroleum products based solvents.

·
Registered
590 Posts
This sounds like a product that was called "orange glo" back in the 90's. I am retired from the telephone company and we used Orange Glo (under a different name) to clean cable. That is, until we discovered it contained "benzine" which is flammable. Then it was quickly taken out of stock. Check the ingredients , if it contains this, I would stay away from it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a bottle of Goo-Gone and it's great for removing stickers and labels that are hard to remove or removing that sticky "goo" left after removing things like price stickers and old campaign stickers somebody slapped on your bumper.

However, it does contain petroleum distillates and the "Danger" warning on the Goo-Gone bottle advises using only in well ventilated spaces, avoid eye contact, avoid prolonged skin contact, and do not use near "heat, sparks, or flame".

I think there are better choices available. CLP, Hoppes #9, and Flitz are good and, for stainless guns, use of Lead Away cloths or patches works well. An occasional application of Renaissance wax helps too.

Just spent a nice afternoon cleaning five revolvers today and had good results with the above suggestions. :) Best wishes,
JJ

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I use cigarette lighter fluid (naptha) to remove the "sticky" from price tags, etc.. I use a Zippo lighter, and need it anyway.

Limited use cleaning grease or old oil off of guns.

Ronsonol is still straight naptha. Zippo fluid has changed these days, a mix of naptha and "petroleum hydrocarbons", I think the label says. Not as good.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Zippo fluid has changed these days, a mix of naptha and "petroleum hydrocarbons", I think the label says. Not as good.
Just to clarify.... Zippo fluid or VM&P Naptha is a powerful was and grease remover. It will not harm any finish unless it is water based. I work at an automotive paint factory and we package the stuff for use in preparing a car for paint and for cleaning. It really brings the shine back on stainless.

It works really well for getting the 'packing grease' off of new guns. You just have to make sure it all evaporates and dries before oiling and reassembling.

Just because something has petroleum hydrocarbons or petroleum distillates, does not mean it will hurt your firearms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts