Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s a good brand of 22Lr Ammo & where are good places to buy? And should I buy in bulk or buy when I need? Specifically looking for plinking/target loads.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,556 Posts
First buy small quantities and test them in your guns. Every .22 has its favorites. Make sure that they feed and function, and shoot groups. Save targets with notes on them as to ammo type, gun, and range to target. I have good luck with Remington Gold bullets, Federal Auto Match and Champion, CCI Std velocity and Mini Mags, and Aguila Super Extra in both std and high velocity. When the targets show you what your guns prefer buy bricks of it. Avoid the buckets of bullets as they tend to get beat up and banged around. The bullets can get loose in the cases. I like individual 50 and 100 count boxes.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,542 Posts
1.) READ Post #2
2.) For me it depends on the firearm. I buy some just to test and when I find some that will cycle and run in my rimfires I look for deals online and compare what I can get locally. For me I have had good luck with Golden Bullets for range and plinking. But I have quantities of the following for testing and plinking. I would start out with Mini-Mags for testing a new purchase and than see what your new pet will cycle.
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPRN 40gr. fps 1235
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPHP 36gr. fps 1260
Blazer 22LR 40gr LRN 1255fps
Remington Golden Bullet 22LR 40gr. 1255fps. Plated RN
Federal 22LR 36gr 1260fps CPHP
Blazer 22LR 38gr. 1235fps. LRN
Aquila Super Extra 40gr. 1255fps. CPRN
There are others and you will have fun testing and hunting for deals these days! Good freaking luck! Enjoy!
3.) What firearm are you requesting ammo data on?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Tell us what you plan on using the ammo in? Rifle, pistol, revolver? Guns can be really picky on what ammo they like, with semi autos being the most picking in lower calibers. I have standardized on CCI Mini Mags, Remington Goldens.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Bulk Remington gold bullets work great in my 10/22 and Mark IV. . 22 is dirty so cleaning is of the up most for reliability

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tell us what you plan on using the ammo in? Rifle, pistol, revolver? Guns can be really picky on what ammo they like, with semi autos being the most picking in lower calibers. I have standardized on CCI Mini Mags, Remington Goldens.
I planning to use the ammo on my 1022 TD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1.) READ Post #2
2.) For me it depends on the firearm. I buy some just to test and when I find some that will cycle and run in my rimfires I look for deals online and compare what I can get locally. For me I have had good luck with Golden Bullets for range and plinking. But I have quantities of the following for testing and plinking. I would start out with Mini-Mags for testing a new purchase and than see what your new pet will cycle.
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPRN 40gr. fps 1235
CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPHP 36gr. fps 1260
Blazer 22LR 40gr LRN 1255fps
Remington Golden Bullet 22LR 40gr. 1255fps. Plated RN
Federal 22LR 36gr 1260fps CPHP
Blazer 22LR 38gr. 1235fps. LRN
Aquila Super Extra 40gr. 1255fps. CPRN
There are others and you will have fun testing and hunting for deals these days! Good freaking luck! Enjoy!
3.) What firearm are you requesting ammo data on?
Your right best to try out ammo before you buy in bulk. Thought It would be nice to have a good bulk pack to plink with at a range. Thought it would be good to have extras during this odd time.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Everything ngashooter said above. Buy small quantities until you find your firearms preference, then if it were me, stock up on it. Never know when you won't be able to get it. Welcome to the forum!

·
Army CW3
1,041 Posts
Welcome to rugerforum.net from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest! HOOAAAHHHH!!!!!

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
I have had duds in every brand I have tried, except for CCI MiniMags.. that’s what I buy, and as far as I,know it doesn’t come in bulk packs.

·
Registered
625 Posts
You’ll find there’s a general consensus on CCI mini-mags being the gold standard of .22lr. There are certainly some better; there are many modestly cheaper. With every .22 I own, I run about 300 or so rounds of CCI Mini-mags thru it to be sure there are no flaws with the gun before diving into cheap bulk ammo. I’m not competing, just plinking. Some folks will talk about break-in periods for a lot of guns. I’m not sure how much of that is just myth but it does help to know you’re running reliable ammo if you encounter problems early on.

·
Pony Soldier
8,460 Posts
Greetings from Nebraska.
I like Federal Auto Match.
I try to stay away from hollow point bulk ammo, have had feed problems with some of that.

Greg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.