Ruger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The author lost creditability in the first paragraph when he said there's a 15k psi difference between .223 and 5.56 NATO

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
These debates have gone on for as long as there have been different designations for cartridges.

A person who knows a little bit is often far more dangerous than someone that knows nothing.

The external dimensions of a the 223 Remington (that's the accepted name of the civilian cartridge) are identical to the exterior dimensions of the 5.56mm NATO (the military designation for that cartridge).

Where the problem arises is the production of that casing and the occasional resulting differences in internal case volume due to varying wall thickness. The military cases also have crimped primer pockets.

There's a lot of miss information out there, some of it intentionally disseminated for marketing purposes and some as a result of just plain ignorance.

While it is accurate to say differences exist it's important to understand what those differences are. Even different commercial ammunition from varying manufacturers will exhibit differences. The question is, "what are those differences" and "how significant are they" ?

·
Registered
773 Posts
The author lost creditability in the first paragraph when he said there's a 15k psi difference between .223 and 5.56 NATO
Yes, I believe the SAAMI std for .223 is 55,000 psi while the 5.56/NATO std is 62,350 psi. While the 5.56/NATO std is higher, it's only about ½ of the 15,000 psi increase stated. Other than that obvious error, the rest of the article is fine as far as that goes.

I have Wylde chambered ARs and load my long range 68grn loads with TAC at the higher 5.56/NATO pressure levels. After over 6,000rds I'm very pleased with 400+yd performance out of my scoped 20" A4.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts