Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what most of you use to transport or store your pistols. I'm not sure I want to continue using the case that came with my Ruger Mk III since there's no lining and the gun has quite a bit of room to move around in. My Springfield XD40 came in a very nice case with cutouts in the foam for all the accessories. Is there a case similar to this for the Ruger or could you make your own similar case? What do you use for your own pistols?

Thanks for the advice! :D

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I don't store mine in anything, other than the gun safe. When I transport them anywhere, I have a few pistol rugs of various sizes and just put them in the rugs and then in the range bag. You might cut you out some foam to line the hard case Ruger sends their guns in.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Home Depot Kleins Electric Tool bag...7.95-breathable canvas-heavy zipper...holds most concealables...

·
Registered
693 Posts
As for transportation, Ruger plastic box works pretty well for me. Had to reinforce lockhole, everything else is OK.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by blade

As for transportation, Ruger plastic box works pretty well for me. Had to reinforce lockhole, everything else is OK.
I guess you have to drill out the hole first? My case has the place where the lock should go and there is a small circle there but no hole. What size bit does it take?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yup, I drilled the hole first, and superglued a metal plate to the bottom half. Still wondering why it wasn't there factory made. Will check out the size tonite.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hey David_the_Gnome, just checked out: I used 3/16 for a pilot hole, and 1/4 to make a final cut. You can't break your drill; it's a plastic - 2 layers to be precise. A metal plate instead of an air between those layers would be much better, but... I suppose they've tried to save a buck or two on manufacture. So, do it yourself. :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quote:Originally posted by blade

Hey David_the_Gnome, just checked out: I used 3/16 for a pilot hole, and 1/4 to make a final cut. You can't break your drill; it's a plastic - 2 layers to be precise. A metal plate instead of an air between those layers would be much better, but... I suppose they've tried to save a buck or two on manufacture. So, do it yourself. :)
Thanks blade, I'll look into it tonight. [8D]

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I picked up one of the 11" Ruger cases from Sportsman's Warehouse for $14 today (cheaper than on Ruger's website and with no shipping :D). Also got a box of 500 CCI Blazers for 13.99 ($2 cheaper than I've found online and also with no shupping :D). Used about 100 of those rounds today at the range and had a blast. Great day all-in-all!

blade, I drilled out the hole for my factory case. I'm using it for storage and the Ruger bag for taking it to and from the range.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Congrats, David the Gnome! :) Be sure nobody gets to your "storage". The case isn't designed for a handgun theft- or fire protection.

As for ammo, I smell something odd. The cheapest box of CCI Blazers I've seen was $6.87 per 50, not 500; or $128 per 1000. Where in the World did you find that lovely price?? :D

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
those Ruger rugs look great will have to have one or two lol

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
6.87/50 on cci blazer .22LR????

·
Registered
693 Posts
Deputy125, it's all my bad! Before you said .22, I was thinking only of 9mil. Doctor, am I gonna die from this? :) Oh, two more weeks and I'm outa here. Will take a little vacation somewhere on an Ocean beach, fish, drink beer and stay out of computers for a while. :D

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
lol Blade you make me laugh lol

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol, yes .22LR not 9mm. :D

CCI Blazer Ammunition, 500 rds, $12.99 @ Sportsman's Warehouse. It's actually a dollar cheaper than Federal 525 bulk. I think the CCI stuff is a little cleaner, it also comes in little boxes instead of a loose mess.

·
Registered
80 Posts
the bulk pack works for me i seem to dump the nice boxes all over the hood of the car or whereever tring to pull a few out lol

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yeah, I know. Just bought a bulk of CCI Blazer 9mm, so my head locked up like an engine with no oil. Definitely need to add some. LOL :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts