Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Ruger Sr40 from a good fellow who included the original case with everything that comes with (2 mags, paperwork, etc) for only $400. The pistol has some holster wear and hasn't been cleaned i assume. I was a bit skeptical about the purchase but Let me know if I've made the right decision.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the SR40. It's a fine pistol and one I enjoy shooting from time to time. 40S&W ammo seems to always be available too, even in times of ammo shortages. Back when the shelves were pretty bare everywhere there always seemed to be some 40S&W available.

There's no real point in asking the "Did I do OK on price?" question since the deal is done. Finding out you paid as much for a used SR40 as a new one will just dampen your spirits a bit. But it really doesn't matter a whole lot - if you bought a new SR40 for $400 it would instantly and magically become a used SR40 once the paperwork was done. Ruger will stand behind it regardless so you're on equal footing when it comes to any service you might need.

The other thing that gets lost in the eternal quest for bragging rights to finding the best deal in a gun buy is the cost of ammo. Unless you plan to just tuck it away and never shoot it you will quickly spend more in ammo than the gun ever cost to begin with. A box (50) of 40S&W costs roughly $19. If you go to the range and shoot two boxes you'll spend $38 on ammo. Do that twice a month and that's $76. In six months you'll really be getting to know your SR40 with 1,200 rounds through it and you'll have spent $456 on ammo for your $400 gun. Even if you slow down and go once a month you'll hit the price of the gun after 11 months. Unless you're a collector with a safe full of guns that you never intend to shoot $50 or even $100 +/- is kinda immaterial.

Enjoy your SR40.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
I sold mine a few mos. ago to a fellow with everything you got included for $400. He's happy, I'm happy ( I replaced it with an SR40C ) Ammo price doesn't matter to me, I have thousands of rnds loaded up. Bottom line is...if your happy, you got a great deal. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Congratulations on a great gun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts