1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new article from Channel 13 in Topeka, Ks:

One Suspect Shot Attempting to Rob Store, Other Flees
Posted: 6:19 PM Jan 22, 2007

We have an update to a shooting we first told you about Friday night.

The victim of the shooting was actually trying to rob the Phillips 66 at 2525 29th St.

Two suspects were holding up the owner of the store, Dean Yee, with a handgun.

A man in the store, 57-year-old Michael Mah, drew a firearm and told one of the suspects to drop his weapon before shooting the 17-year-old.

Mah had a valid concealed carry permit from Oklahoma.

The firearm the robbery suspect used was found to be stolen.

The 17-year-old suspect was treated at a local hospital before being transferred to a Kansas City hospital. He is now in stable condition.

The second suspect was last seen running South on Randolph Street from 29th Street. He is described as an Hispanic male, 18 years of age, wearing a black coat, white t-shirt, red doo-rag and blue jeans.

Police continue to investigate and ask anyone with information to call Detective Kent Biggs at 368-9412 or Crime Stoppers at 234-0007.

I watched the 5:30 a.m. new this morning. The store owner said that the 17 year old was pointing the gun at him and was sure he was going to be shot in the chest. The man from Oklahoma drew his gun and told the teenager to drop his. The teen turned around, pointed his weapon at the CCW holder and was shot.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Kansas CCW went through just in time!

Ya know, this will probably go down as a statistic of one more child hurt with guns.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am really surprised at the response of the local press. I watched the story on 2 of the 3 local tv channels and read the newspaper article. They all emphasized that the ccw holder exercised his legal rights in the shooting. They also mentioned that the suspect who was shot was carrying a stolen handgun. I expected them to say, "Well here we go...told you it would be the Wild West all over again." One of the sponsors of the CCW bill said, "I hope that the criminals and other thugs realize that this is not the same Kansas as it was 20 days ago." In 3 days, there were 9 shootings and a stabbing in our little town of 140,000. I, for one, am very grateful to have my concealed carry license.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
A good example of ccw as a crime deterrant in a newly licensed state. Good honest press coverage like that will help out also.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Glad to see this one turned out OK, and the BGs down or on the run. Just wish there was some roadblock to keep the civil suits at bay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts