Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for suggestions on a good dual purpose shotgun I’d like the shoot clay and for hd

So far I’m looking at this

Mossberg 930c with two barrels that you can switch out I’d post a link but I’m not allowed to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Righteous Dude
21,607 Posts
930s are great. I like the 11-87 and 1100 as well.

Currently I run an 11-87P. I think I found it used for $450.

·
Righteous Dude
21,607 Posts
No problem!

I had a 930SPX that I could not get to choke. Maybe I didn't try hard enough, but it was a good shooter. Not sure why I let it go...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And one final question is semi automatic better then pump. I see that pump May be more reliable? Im having a hard time deciding with this.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
And one final question is semi automatic better then pump. I see that pump May be more reliable? Im having a hard time deciding with this.

I think the 930c with the interchangeable barrels would be an excellent choice. Semi autos can be extremely reliable with the right ammo. Also, a semi auto will have noticeably less perceived recoil than a pump. With buckshot, your shoulder will thank you.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Semi Pros: Less "felt/perceived" recoil. Slightly quicker follow up shot. No need to work the action between shots.

Semi Cons: Can be sensitive to certain loads, and is more prone to failure

In my experience, pumps have definitely been more reliable. They aren't reliant on recoil or gas systems for cycling the action (shotgun loads vary wildly in level of recoil). On top of that, no recoil springs to wear out. Lots of improvements over the years have been made, however, its not uncommon for semi shotguns to have FTE/FTL. My Stoeger M2000 was extremely reliable until about 5 years in - it stopped cycling light trap loads reliably. Not sure if it needs a new spring, or if the recoil pressures put too much wear and tear on the receiver.

You generally won't get those problems with a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 - they simply work. If you are a turkey/duck/goose/grouse/pheasant/dove hunter, a semi is great for those quick second shots, but with enough practice, a pump is still fantastic.

Only you can decide, but new semi's at a $600 price point probably won't give you a lifetime of trap shooting. If it was my primary HD, I'd stick with the pump and take the reliability (versus the lighter recoil).

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
Mossberg 930 as mentioned is great as well is the 1187 remington. I prefer the remington because I am a remington guy but both are great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a Mossberg 500 and Winchester SX4 both with 28” barrel for clays and after a couple hours diffidently prefer the semi auto for recoil. Have a FN P12 pump with 18” barrel for HD. It was advertised as dual purpose but is very limited on reach for hitting clays. Hard to find a shotgun for dual purpose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up getting a Mossberg 930c which both he and hunting barrel

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,882 Posts
I haven’t been on the forum much lately and am just seeing this. You made a great choice on a general purpose shotgun setup.

My only other suggestion would have been the most basic Beretta auto loader you can buy, which is the synthetic stock version of the a300 Outlander. They are going for around $540 right now and that’s a good price for a nice gas cycled auto that can do anything from bird to clay sports to home defense.

Your Mossy is in the same category though. Good all-around gun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven’t been on the forum much lately and am just seeing this. You made a great choice on a general purpose shotgun setup.

My only other suggestion would have been the most basic Beretta auto loader you can buy, which is the synthetic stock version of the a300 Outlander. They are going for around $540 right now and that’s a good price for a nice gas cycled auto that can do anything from bird to clay sports to home defense.

Your Mossy is in the same category though. Good all-around gun.

Nice to hear thanks!

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,882 Posts
Noaim,

Now that I recall seeing a bunch of reviews of the Mossy 930, I'm really excited for you. One of my favorite shotgun reviewers on the web is Randy Wakeman and he's very hard to please, to put it politely. Not afraid to be a bit snobbish in fact, but I prefer that to gun reviewers who say that every gun is wonderful.

This should be a great clays gun with some heft and the longer barrel as part of the combo. Also if you ever want to dress it up with some wood stocks, Midwest Gun Works sells pretty much every shotgun part out there with "exploded" views for almost every make/model.

Please do let us know how it shoots.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=98511

Review: Mossberg 930 12 Gauge Autoloader "A Big Surprise"

https://www.randywakeman.com/QuickPeekMossberg930.htm

https://www.chuckhawks.com/mossberg_930_sporting.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts