Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Shooting Gallery last night and they had a commercial on for the new Ruger SP101 in .327. In the commercial they said the SP101 was compact, which I agree with. They also said it was...LIGHT WEIGHT! The SP101 has been called many things but light weight is one adjective I have never heard used to describe it.

To me light weight is under 20oz. I think the SP101 is a medium weight which I would say is the 20 - 30oz range.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Missed that show as i was on the road.
Light-weight? the sp has never been accused of that except when comparing apples to oranges such as a gp100........

I've bee following some interesting threads here and there about air-weight smiths vs steel smiths vs sp101 and needless to say everyone makes a good agument for their prefered weapon. But none of these arguments contained "light weight sp101" in any of them.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was really hoping that Ruger would use the .327 launch to release an alloy framed SP101. Something around the 18 oz mark would be perfect.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sure it's light weight, compared to my super redhawk.

I am not one who normally gets into this "I wish Ruger would Make" crowd but I would really love to see an alloy framed SP101.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Sure it's light weight, compared to my super redhawk.

I am not one who normally gets into this "I wish Ruger would Make" crowd but I would really love to see an alloy framed SP101.
But then it wouldn't be the SP-101 we know and love. Maybe an LWP-102 or something similar.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
i'm still wondering which joker will come out with a plastic revolver. I can just imagine the attempt. Steel liner barrel in a plastic sleeve and the lower grip frame/area changed to polymer. Plastic sights to boot. I can't see the larger portion of the frame being polymer for the moving parts and flame cutting, but who knows? the wonders of technology..................

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm still wondering which joker will come out with a plastic revolver. I can just imagine the attempt. Steel liner barrel in a plastic sleeve and the lower grip frame/area changed to polymer. Plastic sights to boot. I can't see the larger portion of the frame being polymer for the moving parts and flame cutting, but who knows? the wonders of technology..................
Those darn Ruskies have already done it. It's called the MP-412 REX

Type: Double Action
Caliber: .357 Magnum
Weight unloaded: 0.9 kg
Length: 232mm (4" barrel)
Barrel length: 102mm (4") or 152mm (6")
Capacity: 6 rounds
The MP-412 revolver has been designed at IZHMECH (State-owned Russian Izhevsk Mechanical Plant, a large factory known as a prime maker of Makarov PM pistols among other things). This revolver was intended for export, as a handgun ownership is generally prohibited for ordinary citizens in Russia. First prototypes of REX (Revolver for EXport) revolver were displayed at IWA-2000 arms exhibition in Nurenberg (Germany). It is not exactly known what killed this rather interesting project, but most possibly it was a lack of market, as the biggest export market, the USA, has been closed for Russian handguns since mid-1990s, because of Clinton / Yeltsyn mutual agreement.
The MP-412 is a double action revolver with break-open frame and simultaneous extraction. The bottom frame is of composite type - it consists of a steel basic frame and a polymer envelope, which forms the grip and trigger guard. Polymer grip / trigger guard unit can be removed from steel frame if necessary. Trigger is of conventional type, double / single action, with exposed hammer. Firing pin is mounted in the frame. Barrel / cylinder group latch is located at the top rear of the frame, and is operated by two buttons that must be pushed inwards to unlock the frame. Cylinder holds 6 rounds and has an automatic ejector that throws the cases out of cylinder once barrel is fully tipped down. If necessary, automatic ejection feature can be manually switched off.

source-http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg49-e.htm

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
:eek:

ooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk...........

Thats a surprise right out of left field. hide the pics from ruger or smith......

Top break-----that's an old design that has always facinated me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts