Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s nice to see that Target, Wally World and Best Buy will be closed today. Thanksgiving is a day to give thanks, not to be forced to work in a low paying job.

Also, if you have to “camp out” to save $50 on a television…….you probably can’t afford it to start with. :p

·
Administrator
22,889 Posts
The store openings on TG are a more recent occurrence (if 20-25 years is more recent to you). I am not sure if it's the woke crowd trying to marginalize the holiday or if it's just greed of the retailers getting an extra shopping day. I can recall when all stores were closed with the exception of a C-Store with gas pumps. Then grocery stores started staying open until noon. I guess worried that someone forgot the cranberry sauce or needed a 12 pack. From there it got worse. The commercialization of Thanksgiving and Christmas is missing the whole point of those holidays.

·
Super Moderator
5,081 Posts
Kudos to those companies. I had a conversation with the receptionist at work. She was talking about all she had to do for this and that and to get ready for Christmas and to help her grandma do shopping, etc. I reminded her to stop and slow down. Don’t gloss over thanksgiving and go through the motions. With all the sales and push for the Christmas season, it is easy to overlook Thanksgiving. It’s the closest thing to a pure holiday in that it is the one least commercialized and holds closest to its original meaning.
So please, take a moment and give thanks and remember that Thanksgiving is more than just the official start to the Christmas shopping season.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
It’s nice to see that Target, Wally World and Best Buy will be closed today. Thanksgiving is a day to give thanks, not to be forced to work in a low paying job.

Also, if you have to “camp out” to save $50 on a television…….you probably can’t afford it to start with. :p
@Mark204 ... in my younger days (college years) I worked at a drive thru beverage store, needless to say I worked the majority of the holidays ... the drive thru is still here some 40+ years later ... I wonder if they are open hmmmm ... I wonder if the cannabis dispensary is open?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The store openings on TG are a more recent occurrence (if 20-25 years is more recent to you). I am not sure if it's the woke crowd trying to marginalize the holiday or if it's just greed of the retailers getting an extra shopping day. I can recall when all stores were closed with the exception of a C-Store with gas pumps. Then grocery stores started staying open until noon. I guess worried that someone forgot the cranberry sauce or needed a 12 pack. From there it got worse. The commercialization of Thanksgiving and Christmas is missing the whole point of those holidays.
I remember those days as well and miss them. Being a fire fighter (used to be called fireman) I worked a number of Thanksgivings. At the station I was in charge of we would have family dinner that day.

·
Registered
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Being a fire fighter (used to be called fireman) I worked a number of Thanksgivings.
Ok Bob here’s question for ya……How many people will burn their garage down today deep frying their bird? We usually have a $10 pool and we settle up on Friday…..the closest one without going over wins.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
As nice as it is to see the stores closed, I’m not going to give the big retailers too much credit or faith. I’m 99% certain the real reason for shutting is the ongoing labor shortages.
I'd say about 50% labor shortage and 50% lack of products. Why run a sale on things you have a shortage of?

·
"The Real Deal"
8,810 Posts
I remember those days as well and miss them. Being a fire fighter (used to be called fireman) I worked a number of Thanksgivings. At the station I was in charge of we would have family dinner that day.
Havent we all. Worked christmas eve, day, thanksgiving, and many other ones. Got lucky this year. But next year im sure ill be on duty. 12 more years, and i wont worry bout that anymore. I still love being a firefighter, despite the schedule.

God bless the troops and firefighters, cops, and paramedics who work the holidays so everyone else can have a peaceful and safe holiday.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Havent we all. Worked christmas eve, day, thanksgiving, and many other ones. Got lucky this year. But next year im sure ill be on duty. 12 more years, and i wont worry bout that anymore. I still love being a firefighter, despite the schedule.

God bless the troops and firefighters, cops, and paramedics who work the holidays so everyone else can have a peaceful and safe holiday.
AMEN Tacky ... and thank you!

·
Registered
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Tacky…….Are we a little late to the party today Jason??? :p

Reactions: Tacky
1 - 20 of 37 Posts