Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today with 180 grain Hornady SST Superformance... three shots at 100 yards measured .25... I'm going to call that good...:D:cool:

Fit and finish and wood are pretty good... maybe not $1300 good, but good. It does shoot awesome and has a very good 3lb trigger... and after all it is a hunting rife... so I guess I can live with the few minor imperfections.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am envious, to say the least! I have been lusting over Ruger No. 1's since childhood. Plus, a quarter inch group at 100 yds is dang fine shooting. Congrats on your fine rifle!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Any Ruger #1 that puts 3 shots into 1/4 inch at 100 yards is drop-dead beautiful gorgeous and with a 3 lb trigger.......Pretty freaking awesome !
Gary

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have never heard of such a thing with a No. 1.

My $3000 BAT action competition rifle, with a 2 oz. Jewell trigger and a Weaver XR T-36 scope regularly gives me .25" or better at 100 yards. My Ruger No. 1 Varmint in 220 Swift was a .50 incher at 100 yards and my Ruger No, 1 Varmint in 222 Remington is a .33" rifle at 100 yards.

My two Ruger 1Vs are the most accurate Ruger No. 1s I have ever seen. I invested over $2,000 total to get my 222 Rem rifle down to 1/3" at 100 yards. It has a Shilen barrel and a Jard 1.75 lb. trigger. All of those accuracy numbers are with hand loaded ammunition and a lot of load testing.

Being able to regularly shoot 1/4" or better at 100 yards is the mark of a competitive short range benchrest rifle. It will not win a national event but could place well in a local BR competition.

Here is a typical sub-1/4" five shot 100 yard group with the BAT rifle:

This group actually measured .220". If your No. in 30-06 can do that, you should enter it into a few competitions against similar hunting rifles. You will take everyone's lunch money for sure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh it be...

Not sure if my No. 1 can beat the BAT though,,,

You have a five shot group and mine is only three... BUT I noticed you had zero wind. I'm not sure how hard the wind was blowing yesterday,,, but It was a little stiffer than that.

Heck... lets call it a tie...;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Though I understand Slowshot's point, that is good shooting for a sporting rifle. And it may not be 1/4" over and over, it's possible that the first group may be better than your average groups as you shoot it more, most of us are prone to talk about our better groups. If you get 3 shot groups of 3/4" or so consistently as you shoot it more, this will be good. Seeing how my .257 shots I would say it's possible.

·
Registered
63 Posts
with any of my hunting rifles, i try to find the load they like and then after cleaning them i will fire a fouling shot and 2-3 days later i put a target up at 100 yds and shoot 3 three shots from a cold barrel, my goal is to find a load that will put those three shots into a 1.5 or better group. in my 61 years of hunting i have never fired more than three shots at any big game animal here or in canada,mexico,and four countries in africa. i just don,t chase the unicorn of MOA or better rifles for hunting. eastbank.

·
Registered
846 Posts
That 1/4" group is unreal for a box stock Ruger # 1. I had the same rifle, same caliber and it totally sucked accuracy-wise. I tried every kind of 30.06 factory ammo I could find and couldn't get any kind of a group. It vertical stringed shots. I had a gunsmith work on it and he said it was the best he could get it. It did the same vertical string thing. First shot out of a cold barrel was pretty close to zero @ 100 yds. Then it would start climbing.
I got so sick of fiddling with it, it went Bye-Bye. Glad to hear yours shoots.

·
Registered
63 Posts
this #3 in 45-70 is a delight to hunt with and will shoot three shot groups on a inch from a lead sled starting with a cold barrel. the load is a heavy one with a 350gr jacketed bullet. you know when you touch it off, but when shooting at game i never notice it. eastbank.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Awesome...

Maybe I need one too. :)

Went to the range today with 180 grain Hornady SST Superformance... three shots at 100 yards measured .25... I'm going to call that good...:D:cool:

Fit and finish and wood are pretty good... maybe not $1300 good, but good. It does shoot awesome and has a very good 3lb trigger... and after all it is a hunting rife... so I guess I can live with the few minor imperfections.

·
Banned
76 Posts
The real test is to see how it performs over time with changes in wood density due to humidity shifts and the settling in effect of many recoils. In the meantime, don't touch it with a screwdriver!

It would be interesting to see if there is any change with different loads. Hell, try for a one hole group!!

wunbe

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Sporter weight barrel Number 1.......factory loaded 30-06 ammo and a rifle with a 3lb factory trigger that shoots .25 MOA out of the box, on a windy day....................Ummmm, call me skeptical. Bet it never does it again.........lol!!!!

That BAT rifle is a 222. A .25 MOA 30 caliber grouping is benchrest material.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Sporter weight barrel Number 1.......factory loaded 30-06 ammo and a rifle with a 3lb factory trigger that shoots .25 MOA out of the box, on a windy day....................Ummmm, call me skeptical. Bet it never does it again.........lol!!!!

That BAT rifle is a 222. A .25 MOA 30 caliber grouping is benchrest material.
That BAT action 222 is the rifle with which I will be competing this summer in short range BR (100 and 200 yards). My competition will mostly be rifles in 6 PPC. 1/4" at 100 yards is a decent group but I am trying to get it down to under 0.2" to be competitive. I recently shot a .194" 5-shot group at 100 yards with the BAT. On a very windy day, a couple of weeks ago, I shot a couple of 200 yard groups under 0.6". My reading of wind flags isn't the greatest but it is improving.

As to the 1/4" 100 yard group with a factory stock Ruger No. 1, keep in mind, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. If anyone wants to claim it will shoot 1/4" regularly, then I am very skeptical.

To shoot 1/3" at 100 yards, my Ruger No. 1 V (222 Rem.) needs a 1.75 lb. Jard trigger, a Shilen Varmint barrel, a Weaver XR T-36 Scope, a SEB NEO front rest, a Protektor rear bag and my carefully tested hand loads, using top shelf components such as Lapua brass, Berger 55 gr. Target bullets, Remington 7 1/2 BR primers and a bit of luck.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
As you, I have lots of BR experience and currently a good sized group of BR type rifles. A 1/4 MOA 30 cal rifle is a damn good one. I have a 300 RUM, a 300 Win Mag, a 300 WSM and a 308 that shoot that well...........but they are not sporter weight hunting rifles, with shelf ammo and 3lb triggers.............LOL!!!

Not doubting what the OP says.........but if it ever did it again or even came close, I would be shocked.

A 222 against 6BRs, 6PPCs and other current chamberings will be a tough road, but you know that. Pray for VERY calm match days.............LOL!!!

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Any Ruger #1 that puts 3 shots into 1/4 inch at 100 yards is drop-dead beautiful gorgeous and with a 3 lb trigger.......Pretty freaking awesome !
Gary
Any rifle, period, that does that is a keeper in my book.
I'm partial to #1's as well. Wish I could afford one.

·
Registered
673 Posts
A 222 against 6BRs, 6PPCs and other current chamberings will be a tough road, but you know that. Pray for VERY calm match days.............LOL!!!

Just because most were stampeded to the 6 PPC when it came out did not mean the 222 Rem. is obsolete or somehow lost accuracy. It will be my lack of experience and mediocre skills that will keep me out of medal contention, so to speak, not the rifle. Any rifle that can be shot in the high ones and low twos with regularity is not a handicap. But then, if I had known I would get the competition bug, I would have had the rifle built in 6 PPC.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Of course it is an accurate round, always has been. But it's not AS accurate as some of the others, or that's what top level shooters would use. Personally, I would use a 6mm Dasher. I have a 6BR, but the twist is too fast for the bullets I want to use. If and when I rebarrel, it will be a Dasher

1 - 19 of 19 Posts