Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a bag of Pachmayr snap caps to use in ball-and-dummy exercises with both the Mk III and 10/22. But too often they fail to feed properly, which ruins the exercise. What brand of snap caps do you recommend?

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I have some aluminum A-Zoom 22 "dummy rounds".
They won't feed properly through a semi-auto because they are too light and have a flat nose. I don't know of any true "snap caps" for rimfire.

They are not spring loaded to take repeated strikes from a firing pin, so after a couple of strikes they are destroyed.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
These work great for testing your action. Just like a live round. If you dry fire with them more than a few times, the rim will deform and then they do not work very well. I use the cheaper plastic dummy rounds for dry firing. Excellent value from Rimfire Sports & Custom. About a buck a piece.
Note: They look very much like a real cartridge except for the hole in the bottom of the rim.
These 5 just cycled through my MKIII 22/45 without any trouble.

Rimfire Sports & Custom: .22 LR Dummy Rounds - Set of 3

·
Registered
172 Posts
+1 for the wall anchors my revolvers have them in the chambers and when they arent good anymore you toss them and use new ones, Cheap I Am.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Do the wall anchors cycle in the action? Or are you just using them to dry fire against instead of the firing pin hitting the breach.
I use them to dry fire. Also, I like to store my firearms with the firing pin fully disengaged. I would not attempt to cycle them in the action. These things have little barbs on them, and may get stuck, or jam the action.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I have some aluminum A-Zoom 22 "dummy rounds".
They won't feed properly through a semi-auto because they are too light and have a flat nose. I don't know of any true "snap caps" for rimfire.

They are not spring loaded to take repeated strikes from a firing pin, so after a couple of strikes they are destroyed.
Bummer, I just ordered a package of 12. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Bummer, I just ordered a package of 12. Oh well.
See my post above with the picture - there are the ones you want in order to simulate a real bullet through your action.

·
Registered
223 Posts
pachmeyer orange snap caps

24 for around 10.00, cycle good and seem to be a pretty tough material, mine are holding up well to dry fire. they cushion firing pin in my 1993 vintage taurus 94 very well.:D:cool:

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I received my A-Zoom .22 snap caps today and they seem to cycle well through the guns. Lucky me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts