Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a shotgun purely for home defense. It doesn't have to be pretty, or light, or have any frills at all. I just want a shotgun that I can aim and pull the trigger that I don't have to worry about malfunctioning. My experience with shotguns is limited. I have a budget of $200-$250 max. Doesn't have to be new either, if you guys think there's a certain gun that I could get in that price range used.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I would also suggest the Remington 870. Can't go wrong there.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I recently inherited a JC Higgins (High Standard) Model 20 12 ga. pump shotgun, manufactured in 1952 & sold by Sears, Roebuck & Co. It has a capacity of 5+1 & only accepts 2 3/4" shells, but that's really all it needs to do. I know for a fact it can sit in closet for 40+ years & still go bang when the trigger is pulled. The only issue is the 28" barrel -- a bit unwieldy for home defense. I'd have no qualms about cutting it down save for the sentimental value of this particular firearm. However, I've heard they're fairly cheap ($150 - $200) on the resale market. If you happen to find one, go for it.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
It might be a little over your price range. Remington 870 hands down.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Rem 870 or Mossberg 500...either gun will fit most needs. This past fall I bought the Mossberg only because it was on sale and cheaper then the Rem. It could have been the other way around. The two are almost identical. The only thing I do not like on the Rem is the gate when loading rounds in the bottom...the Mossberg does not have one and makes it easier to load. They both have a lot of aftermarket parts and are easily customizable.

Reactions: TMB

·
Registered
126 Posts
Take a look at the Maverick 88 security, it's made by Mossberg at there Texas factory, and in your price range. My 88 works just fine, but so has every pump shot gun I've shot.

·
Registered
17,100 Posts
I would rather have a used 870 Wingmaster than a new 870 Express.

Reactions: TMB

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Remington 870 for quality and support. Well worth the extra $100 for the peace of mind. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm still pricing things as I go. I've actually looked into some youth models. My wife is on the smaller side, and I would like something small enough for her to manage as well. She picked up one at a local gun shop today with a 28" barrel, way to big for her.

Any thoughts on caliber? 12ga is obviously the standard, but are their disadvantages to say a 20ga? Presuming I'm shooting good defense loads of course.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
Can personally attest to the Mossberg 12g

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
HD Shotgun

Zulu,
If you use the <search> field at the top of the screen and enter "HD Shotgun" you will be directed o some of the best advice available in the world. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Zulu,
If you use the <search> field at the top of the screen and enter "HD Shotgun" you will be directed o some of the best advice available in the world. :)
Thank you. I tried searching for shotgun information, but I struggled a bit with the search feature. Still trying to figure things out. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
There are a ton of used shotguns out there!

I agree with the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500. But I've always loved Ithaca. They load and eject from the bottom, a benefit if your left handed.

I don't have a problem with 20 gauge and will be less damage to your ears.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts