Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody it's been a while sense of been on here. I have been a Ruger fan from way back. Just recently got involved with the Mini 14 and Mini 30. I recently acquired a Mini 30. The guy who had it before me had some custom work done the trigger is nice and the barrel has been cut to 16 inches and also has a custom muzzle break installed. I love this gun. My real question comes from my mini 14 target rifle I think for my purposes the gun seems extra heavy and I have been contemplating cutting the barrel what do you guys think about this. I have searched the web and have not been able to find many people who have tried this what Are your thoughts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thank you everybody! It great to have people that you can ask questions and hopefully answer a few too.

·
Exalted One
1,735 Posts
What Neon said! Cutting down the barrel of a Target rifle is like getting your gold medal bronzed. It's not really a carbine in the sense of a handy carry-around gun (although some do for hunting at long range).

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
While I prefer the Mini-30, if you want to also have a Mini-14, I'd do what RJF and Neon said, sell the Target and get a Ranch or tactical in 5.56mm.
Pictured below is a real Target gun, much more accurate than any Mini-14 Target. The Mini-30 next to it is plenty accurate, but still very light and handy, unlike a Mini-14 Target:

·
Registered
9 Posts
What is with these guys getting all salty when they don't get immediate responses. At least wait a day before complaining. you didn't even make it 30 minutes. People have jobs n such which don't allow them to play on their computers all day. My answer to your question is DO NOT cut it, or shave it down. If it is too heavy trade it in on something more suited to your needs.

·
Exalted One
1,735 Posts
Perhaps I missed something, but I don't think the OP was pissed off, just thanking in advance as an afterthought.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Perhaps I missed something, but I don't think the OP was pissed off, just thanking in advance as an afterthought.
Thats the way I took it...And like the others said , sell it and buy Ranch or a Tactical.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I thought he said the Mini Target was too heavy, not a Ranch model.
I didn't think the OP was complaining either in his second reply. As RJF said, he was just thanking in advance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts