Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a brand new Ruger SR1911. It is my first 1911 and I love it, I love the look and the feel of it. I do not know how tight or loose the slide to frame fit should be.
My slide to frame fit seems to be a little loose and wobbles just a tiny bit, when I was looking at getting my sr1911 and they gave me the test model off the wall to check it out, I felt the slide to frame fit and It seemed to be about the same as mine, I even asked if they could give me the one off the wall again so I could compare it to mine and it had the same slight wobble.

Here is a video I made, please let me know if you guys think this is bad.
Turn up your volume so you can hear it, sorry about the video I am not very good at taking a good video.

ruger1911.mp4 video by bandits77transam | Photobucket

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Firstly...
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Congratulations on your SR1911.
I have owned my SR1911 since February and the tolerances on it are quite tight.
The only movement I can get is a miniscule amount laterally, but no noise.
1911's differ in tolerances.
I couldn't get mine to do anything similiar to what you posted in the vid.
Come to think of it, I'd be a tad disappointed if it did.
I am sure others will chime in.

·
Banned
56 Posts
I would say it's a bit loose.

Comparing it to another I have shot. I haven't really handled many SR 1911s yet. I've really only shot one particular gun. It had just a bit of play. My comparison is to the Colts, Brownings and assorted clones. That is what I am more familiar with. As long as it is accurate and functions well I wouldn't worry about it.

The 1911s are strange animal. I've see loosey-goosey guns shoot well for many years and tight guns malfunction terribly. It often comes down to how the parts are fitted and not necessarily how tight or loose they are. If you fit one really tight it must be super slick to work right. The ideal gun is somewhere in between

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
A 1911 should be a little loose, because the slide must move. I can't start the movie right now but I'll check it out in the morning. Because the sights are on the slide a 1911 has to be very, very loose before it will cause a targeting problem.

I've picked up competition 1911s that were carried by world class shooters, that were so loose that you'd think they would fall apart on the line. Loose functions every time, tight will malfunction with stove pipes and FTF.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
It's a myth that you can predict accuracy of a 1911 by grabbing the slide and frame and checking for play. I know guys at our range with competition, superbly accurate 1911s that are as loose as a goose in slide to frame fit. Barrel to slide fit, barrel to bushing fit and so on are much more important. Remember, also, that too tight can cause reliability issues and reliability, as far as I'm concerned, is more important in a 1911 than accuracy. I'll sacrifice a little group size in a 1911, any day, to get good reliability. My SR1911 has been flawless for over 1500 rounds. That's gold in my book. As for accuracy, it will print 2 1/2" five shot groups from a rest at 25 yards and my old eyes ain't what they used to be when using iron sights.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,461 Posts
Every Ruger SR1911 I have checked has had a little slide play which is typical for 1911s in that price range. You usually have to spend from two to four times as much to get tighter tolerances for accuracy without sacrificing reliability.

·
Banned
402 Posts
Barrel to bushing fit is more important to accuracy than slide fit, that said a little slide slop is not a bad thing. There is a way to check with a feeler gauge between the bottom of the slide and the top of the frame rail, then you need to know what Ruger refers to as in speck. If it's so bad that it bothers you Ruger will look at it.
Shoot it and see if you shoot better than the pistol, I doubt that will be the case.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,798 Posts
I'm glad North country gal and others pointed out the "tight slide myth". Seems many people that are not intimately familiar with a 1911 tend to judge quality by the few things they can see and feel ... like trigger pull and slide play. Turns out, the barrel is locked into the slide so if the slide moves, so will the barrel and sights. A loose slide has virtually no affect on accuracy but as others pointed out, it sure does impact function.

There are four main areas that affect accuracy the most ... the play between the barrel bushing and the slide, the play between the barrel bushing and the barrel, the play between the rear barrel hood and the slide, and finally the barrel's chamber and bore. When you add up the total play of these three areas, each .005" will account for about 1" loss of accuracy. Example: a bushing has .002" play with the slide, the barrel has .002" play with the bushing, and the hood has .002" play with the slide, for a total of .006". A typical field grade barrel versus a match grade barrel will lose about 1/2" so the best accuracy you can expect to get would be 1 1/2" groups @ 25 yards.

Ruger SR1911s are not intended to be a match grade pistol, rather they are shipped in a "combat/carry" configuration. I have tested my SR1911 with many different loads and found it almost meets match grade standards, which is sub-inch groups @ 25 yds. My SR1911 gets just over 1" groups shooting 220 gr LSWC loads and about 1 1/2" groups with 230gr hardball. Considering 2 1/2" groups are normal with combat/carry configured 1911s, I would say the Ruger SR1911 is exceptionally accurate for a non-match grade gun. Besides being very accurate, my SR1911 functions flawless with a variety of ammo.

1911s configured for match grade accuracy have a match grade barrel, a match grade bushing, and typically have less than .003" total slack .... about .001" at each of the three points. In theory, this can yield groups under 1/2" @ 25 yds, however you usually give up reliability with feeding malfunctions being quite common.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've got a Citadel that has none of that "looseness", and I have a Regent that has ALL of that "looseness", At 25yds off a rest they both shoot almost identical groups. And the groups are reasonably tight. One of the charms of the 1911 is that they will drive you crazy. If you are wanting to carry it, see how it shoots from 3 to 10yds. If they're all centermass on a B-27 then your good to go. If you want really tight groups buy a Gold Cup.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I just checked mine. Mine has no movement whatsoever.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Sounds like a WW 1 era 1911 after several 1000 rounds through it! Send it back for replacement!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How well does it shoot?
I dont know yet, I have only had it for 3 days and the way I work and where I live I have to drive an hour and a half or more to go shooting. Also where I go shooting is in up towards the mountains in oregon and they are getting a lot of snow.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I dont know yet, I have only had it for 3 days and the way I work and where I live I have to drive an hour and a half or more to go shooting. Also where I go shooting is in up towards the mountains in oregon and they are getting a lot of snow.
Let us know, I'm sure it will shoot just fine. :D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Mine is tighter and shoots better than my Colt Mark IV... Its a winner...
Lots of real good comments above

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the same thing

Mine does the same thing. I got it about a month or so ago and was disappointed at first when I felt the play in the slide as well as the trigger rattle but I've put about 350 rounds through it and considering it is my first handgun, I got some decent groups out of it. At first I wanted to send it back because after a little internet research, it seems that there are some sr1911's that aren't loose and I wanted one of those, but then with a little more digging it seems that a little play in the slide is not necessarily a bad thing. one thing I did find after the first 100 rounds was that the grips came loose but after I tightened them, the next 250 rounds did not loosen them at all. I am planning on taking it to a gunsmith for an ambi-safety (as I'm a lefty) and maybe a trigger job. So I'm going to see if there's anything he can do about the loose slide as well, without costing to much money. I will say the first 350 rounds were a lot of fun with zero malfunctions using 230 FMJ's, 230 JHP, 200 JHP +p, and 185 FMJs.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have two 1911s a S&W and my Ruger. The S&W cost about $400 more than the Ruger and is a bit tighter than the Ruger. my SR1911 is a bit tighter than yours but has loosened up a bit since it was new. This is after about 500 rounds. As someone said, "If you have a tighter pistol you have to make sure it is properly lubricated". I'm not the greatest shot in the world, but with either one I can get center of body hits at 25 yards. If it shoots OK and there aren't abnormal wear patterns on the slide and frame, I wouldn't worry about it. If you have any problems, Ruger will take care of them under warranty up to the point of replacing the weapon if they can't make it work properly.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I'd go by what North Country Gal and Lowegan say those two people know their guns. They're not quessing they're speaking from experiance.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts