Ruger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a Trigger Job on my S&W 642 Airweight. The trigger was pinching my finger so I brought it in to have it polished and smoothed out. The work was done by Norton Firearms. Also included in their trigger job:

1. Adjusted Break
2. Loosen Mainspring
3. Replace Trigger Spring with Wolff #9, reducing the factory 15lb pull to 9lbs.

Now I'm being told at the S&W forum that it is not uncommon for J-Frames to misfire if the trigger pull isn't heavy enough, and some of the members felt that the #9 spring may be too light for that gun. I haven't taken it to the range yet, but the trigger pull still feels a tad heavier then my LCR.

This gun is to be one of my carry pieces, and now I'm concerned that I might not be able to rely on it %100 for SD.

What are your thoughts about this?

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure you shoot your intended carry rounds at the range with the new springs, so you are absolutely sure there are no light primer strikes. If you can't make it fail, it's good to go.
I will shoot 50 rounds of WWB target ammo, plus 25 rounds of Hornady 110gr .38spl+P CD, then 20 rounds of Corbon 125gr 38.spl+P JHP. within the next week or so.

If something is very wrong, I believe it will start to act up during that session.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
We, (my better half, actually) have a S&W 642.

The factory trigger pull IS a bit hard.

No mods yet.

We'll be watching here for opinions.

Thanks,

Duane
The trigger pull on my 642 was rating at 15lbs by my gunsmith. I feel that is unacceptable, if you consider that the Taurus M380 mini revolver firing .380acp has a trigger pull slightly heavier (which they claim is needed for firing rimless cartridges), and everyone who reviewed this gun complained about the heavy trigger pull.

I will let you know how the range session goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.