Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently killed a sow from about 115 yards with my Mini30. I was using 7.62x39 soft tips. Red dot scope. Got her through the rib cage. She didn't get far. After I shot her the other hogs in the pack ran off in all directions. I couldn't get a second target in time before they were out of range. Sorry I don't have video of it.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
You going to get sausage made out of any of it?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You going to get sausage made out of any of it?
Probably not. Its not a big hog. So I'm sticking to ham, backstrap, ribs, bacon, chops etc. Shooting her through the ribs broke a couple ribs but I still got ribs out of her.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
The smaller ones are better eating. What surprised me was how mild and tender the meat was. I had the processor make 20# of sausage from the first one I got and had chops and off the hind quarters nice steaks. It was good eating.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The smaller ones are better eating. What surprised me was how mild and tender the meat was. I had the processor make 20# of sausage from the first one I got and had chops and off the hind quarters nice steaks. It was good eating.
The big ones are not as good. A big boar is an old boar. Sausage and spare ribs are really all they're good for.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,012 Posts
Congrats on a good eating size hog. All kinds of pandemonium breaks out when the gun goes off doesn't it? Getting off a second shot is tough even shooting a semi-auto w/ red dot sight. I shoot a bolt-action .30-06 w/ 3x-9x scope and my proudest moment was getting a second round into a 200lb boar after the first 150gr Ballistic Tip blew up on the gristle plate. I was lucky in that the pig took off running away from me, and I was able to connect with a classic "Texas Heart Shot" that slowed him down. I still didn't finish that hog until I followed him into head-high weeds with my Redhawk .44mag.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Did someone say BACON ???? :p images (56).jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts