Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Lewiston ID (where Speer, CCI, and Federal are made) and picked up a box of Federal HST personal defense 124 gr standard pressure 9mm rounds today! I've heard nothing but good things about this round, and it actually out performed the +p version in many tests! I'm hoping to do a few tests of my own here soon, so I'll keep this updated. One question, is the personal defense HST the same as the LE Tactical HST? I figure it is, just that you only get 20 rounds and pay a few dollars more...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I just picked up a few boxes of 180 gr Buffalo bore in .357 and ran a cylinder through my GP 100 , What a blast !! So I have to agree specialty ammo can be fun and may even give you a new respect for that firearm

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have some buffalo bore 9mm +p+! Those guys load pretty hot! 1400 fps for a 9mm is insane! I could hardly imagine how punishing a .357 mag would be, but I'm sure it'd work

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
This is true. Tried Buffalo Bore 340 Gr 44 Mag +P+ and whoa, turned the Redhawk into a real fire breather. Recoil was not unmanageable but the noise and the pressure waves from end of barrel were awesome. Specialty ammo can give you a whole new appreciation of your gun.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I am using the Federal HST 124gr in my Shield. It seems to perform very well in short barreled pistols. This Youtube video convinced me. The 147gr is even better. A couple of places you can find the 50 round boxes on line are Ammunition Depot and SGAmmo, when they are in stock. Much cheaper in the bigger box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lGqdMdbir0

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am using the Federal HST 124gr in my Shield. It seems to perform very well in short barreled pistols. This Youtube video convinced me. The 147gr is even better. A couple of places you can find the 50 round boxes on line are Ammunition Depot and SGAmmo, when they are in stock. Much cheaper in the bigger box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lGqdMdbir0
HA!!! That's the same video I watched right before deciding to go to Idaho to get it! I had some DoubleTap ammo that the same guy reviewed and he didn't care for it. That's a very good video series

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hmmm, 1400fps in a 9mm? I might have to try that in my 357/9mm convertible Blackhawk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts