Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this Redhawk about 3 weeks ago on the Internet from Crossfire Arms in Vermont. This was my first Internet purchase, I've always bought locally. But NO ONE had the new Redhawk in stock locally. Dawn at Crossfire sent the gun to the mailing address on the FFL forms from a local gun shop about 3 minutes from where I live. Neither of us knew that the mailing address was no longer valid. The USPS said they would send it to the forwarding address, yea right!!!!!!!!!!! After over a week they sent it back to Crossfire Arms. Dawn let me know the gun was safe and she then sent it to the gun shop address. The customer service from Crossfire Arms has been fantastic and Dawn was just great to deal with. Lesson learned, MAKE SURE the FFL info is current and complete. I just got the gun this afternoon and it's a beauty!!! Fit and finish are excellent, built like a battleship, and the trigger pulls are on the heavy side but very smooth. It's a Davidson's gun so comes with their lifetime warranty. I have Thursday and Friday off. So I'll be taking it to the range on Friday. The ammo in the pictures is 325gr. 1155 ft per sec. I also have some cowboy Colt loads and some 45ACP loads to shoot thru it. It does require Ruger moon clips for this model 5032 and they are 3 for $14.95 and I bought 18 more from Ruger. I found some from TK Custom, they're more expensive but made of better metal so I bought 20 more. I expect that once it's been out for a while other manufactures will get on the wagon and put out moon clips for it. Should be set for moon clips for a while. This is my first double action revolver, I've always had single action guns. My New Blackhawk convertible that I bought a few months ago is a single action.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Awesome:)

I was very excited to get mine, I put the wood grips back in the box and put Pachmayrs on it for utility.

Let us know how it does with ACP.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Well now doesn't that just look handy, and fun
Now I want one also
Darn you guys are a bad (good) influence
And you have time off to hit the range
This workin 5 days a week isn't all it's cracked up to be :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice! I almost got one a few months ago but got the Match Champion instead. It's a sweet looking gun though. Let us know how it is when you get it out to the range.
-Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome:)

I was very excited to get mine, I put the wood grips back in the box and put Pachmayrs on it for utility.

Let us know how it does with ACP.
What was the Pachmayr grip that fit this Redhawk?

I'll report back after I get to the range on Friday, 12/11.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just got back from the range and the Redhawk shoots just fine. I shot 3 different Colt loads: Cowboy handload of 7.8grs Unique with 200grn Lasercast LRNFP bullet, Black Hills 250 gr Cowboy load, HSM 325gr Bear Loads 1155fps. I also shot 45ACP 230gr FMJ American Eagle load. This is my first Double action heavy duty pistol and I'm definitely going to need to do some practice to get good with this pistol. I kept the front sight level with the top of the rear sight when shooting and was holding at 6 o'clock and trying to hit the bullseye on a 6" Shoot N C target at about 30-35 ft. The 200gr handload cowboy loads shot about 6in high with a 6 o'clock hold. I was hitting above the 6" target. The Black Hills 250gr cowboy loads shot about 2 in high with a 6 o'clock hold so I was hitting about 2" above the bullseye. The 325 Bear Loads were hitting within 2-3 inches of the bullseye. These were VERY stout loads and even with a light weight shooters glove (the only time I used the glove was with the Bear Loads) I got bit by holding to far up on the grip. The very top of the grip nailed me as the pistol rolled back during recoil. I need to adjust my grip a little downward so it's not right at the top of the grip frame on those heavy loads. The 45ACP loads shot very well in the moon clips and they extracted just fine. I was hitting about 8in high with the 230gr FMJ loads. The pistol does roll back during recoil and is due to the design of the round butt grip. There's nothing wrong with that, I'm just not used to that style of grip. All shots were fired standing unsupported. I need to get myself a decent pistol rest to set the sights accurately as to POA/POI. The variances in the different shot heights was more due to my shooting than the pistol. All shots were done single action style. I'll have to decide what load I want so sight in with as my "Standard Load". Then set the sights for bullseye with that load.

My Blackhawk convertible 45ACP/45 Colt doesn't roll back in the hand like the Redhawk. It has more of a straight back push, much like my 1911s in 45ACP. Like I said I will need to do some practice with this revolver to get good with it. But all things considered I am extremely pleased with this revolver, well worth the money. It was very accurate once I figured out where to aim to get in the bullseye area of the target. I was getting 3-4 in groups which is average for me with a new gun. That will get down to 2 in groups as I get more practice in with the new gun!!

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,451 Posts
Nice revolver! I bet that Redhawk really jumps with stout loads. My Redhawk has a 7.5" barrel and was uncomfortable to shoot with full house .44mag loads (240gr XTP [email protected] 1411fps) with the Hoages that were on it. A change to the Pachmyr Decelerator grips (they cover the backstrap and cushion the blow to your palm) made my Redhawk fun to shoot and even more accurate in my hands.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Now I am just the opposite with the Redhawk. I like the fact that the Redhawk noes not rotate in my hand like the Blackhawk plow grip does.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The Pachmayr Presentations fit on the Round Butt .45 Redhawk.

I like the factory Altamont wood grips, but mine were cut wierd and the left panel is sliver thin,and the right panel is 3 times thicker so it looks and feels awkward.

I had a set of the green "camo" Pachmayrs laying around, plopped them on and put the wood ones away.

It's a 20 second switch to put the other grips back on, I have been holding out until someone like Eagle makes a Kirinite set for the RB Redhawk. I may even have a pro reshape the standard Redhawk Kirinite grips to fit the RB.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
NICE!! I have the 7.5" model, and have found the Pachmayr presentation to be the most comfortable, but the original wood grips are more my size.

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is my next handgun. Since I reload for both .45acp and .45Colt, I'm not limited by ammo prices. I have a Blackhawk that has the .45acp/.45Colt convertible cylinders, but always hankered for a DA .45Colt as well as a DA .45acp. To have both in a single package is too much to resist.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine is still on backorder (about 3 weeks now) from 9 distributors.
I hope Santa comes through before Christmas.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Lockport,
I did not realize how few of these guns are out there until I started reading about how no one could find them. I must have gotten very Lucky, my LGS had one in stock for at least 2 months and I kept sending a buddy of mine pictures of it to buy and he never bought it. I bought it and very , very happy I did. Unbelievable that it set there for 2 months if not more.
I hope you also get yours before Christmas. Good Luck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
How do the Pachmayr grips fit? One thing I never cared for with the Redhawk is the exposed backstrap when shooting heavy 45 Colt loads.

I don't think either the Pachmayr or Hogue grips cover the backstrap on the Redhawk.

Still would be a great revolver and might just retire my S&W 625.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts