Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today the mailman brought me my Virginia concealed carry permit! A remarkably smooth process from start to finish.

I'm going to start slow. I think tomorrow I will conceal the permit in my wallet. I'll work my way up from there.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
congrats on the permit. Next comes the self-conscious part of trying to carry concealed in public.
My 1st time carrying concealed, a detective special felt like it turned into a N frame smith and it was a game of constantly re-adjusting.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well considering right now my smallest gun is a 4" GP100, I can only imagine. I haven't really given that part of it much thought, just figured I'd take things a step at a time. I just didn't know the step of getting a permit would take about two weeks from start to finish!!

I have sort of been looking for a good place to stow it in the car. A few possibilities. I have a Nissan XTerra, if anyone has one and has some ideas, email me.

And I really appreciate all the support from you guys here. I've learned a lot and know I have only scratched the surface, but I've been thinking lately about something my Dad always used to say to me. "Surround yourself with Good People."

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm going to start slow. I think tomorrow I will conceal the permit in my wallet. I'll work my way up from there.
[/quote]

Check the mirror often to be sure the permit isn't printing through...:D

·
Registered
693 Posts
Congrats, EddieF!

I used to live in Leesburg, pretty near from you. Never thought that area requires CC - it's nice and quiet vs. other places. Now I moved to Sterling - the same thing. Can't compare to DC, where I'm working. Every night walking three blocks to parking lot, I'm wishing to have something better than folding knife in my pocket.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pretty quiet in Lovettsville where I live. Leesburg is starting to get some gang activity, however. I think when I'll need/want it most is when I'm driving, maybe staying at a hotel, or getting gas at night or something. Never know, but that's the whole point, right? You never know.

Blade, are you going to the Chantilly Expo gun show in July?

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I like Sheepdogs Signature line " Trouble never makes an appointment-Be Prepared ".
I carry all the time and just hope I never need it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
quote:Blade, are you going to the Chantilly Expo gun show in July?
Indeed. :) I'm not sure about the date yet. Usually I go there by the end to get some close up discounts.

·
Registered
693 Posts
KP97DC: unfortunately (no profanity allowed) DC has the probably most restrictive laws. Can't CC in there if you're not a big daddy-boss. In the same time the crime rate there is outrageous. Yesterday my colleague told me that he's been attacked by crack-addicted teens with .22 on the last weekend.

Edited by RNettles to remove profanity.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
EddieF,
your right you never know, that is why we do carry. And yo have to be a ware of where your at all the time. Working in the prison system for the many years I have as well as wolf song; there is a game we play while working. Its called the what if game, I know it sounds funny but it works what if I was jumped what would I do. How would I do it, which is the best route to escape if the place was over run.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
EddieF
I carry 24/7, my weapon goes on with my trousers when I get out of bed. It never leaves my
side during the day. I try to live by the Sheepdog principal "trouble never makes an appointment" , and so far it has worked very well. You will feel a little self-concious at first, like "everyone is looking at me" but it soon wears off and you will be fine.Again I
say congratulations.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe at first I'll wear a big goofy hat or something. At least I will know nobody's looking at my waist!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Congrats EddieF! Snuffy, your "What if game" gives all of us something to think about. It definitely makes sense. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Snuffy, I taught my rookies to play "what if..." on the dead night patrols..that kind of thinking will keep you alive...."if" Eddie, congrats-OK on the floppy hat, just no Richard Nixon mask, OK?!!! I carried a 4" .357 Smith M66, a Colt Combat Commander, a 3 1'2" M27, and a M58 .41 in my IWB on my belly with a light shirt out for many years, lately a P97 or P90-work in a pocket T-shirt all day bought one size too large and never spotted...you'll relax after a few months...until then, concentrate on NOT readjusting it...keep your hands away from it...people watch your hands...you'll be surprised how easy it is....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Congrats EddieF. I have been following your progress with this as I am intending to get my CCW. There is a Gander Mt. right behind my place of employment and once a month dthey offer an NRA approved Concealed Carry Class. Hope to see you at Chantilly. Again, congrats.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.