Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember that I posted a video a few weeks ago about my SR1911's slide being loose on the frame.

I sent my SR1911 on 12-3-12 and I received today 12-10-12.

Very good turn around time and shipping and receiving it was easy allthough it was making me a little nervous about UPS losing it or somthing.

Ruger replaced my slide free of charge and test fired 30 rounds.

The service was fast and great but the only thing confuses me is that it is just as loose with the new slide as it was with the original slide so I am not sure why they replaced it. Should I call and asked why they replaced it?

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
How does it shoot though ?
Mine's tight, test fired December 2011.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How does it shoot though ?
Mine's tight, test fired December 2011.
I have held two other sr1911's that were manufactured around the same time as my sr1911 and they were loose like my SR1911 is, all the things I have read about the SR1911's that are "tight" seem to be closer to first production guns. maybe they are just making them like this now.

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Most 1911's are loose.
When I say that mine is tight, I mean in comparrison to other 1911's.
I can't imagine that the later SR1911's were made any different than the earlier ones.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thats pretty good but not cheap. I would be upset with slide slop but thats just me. If thats how they come and they shoot good then hey what the heck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mainly what Ruger calls the "J cut", a step in the breechface on the driver's side of the pistol that was a few thousands above the rest of the breechface. It was making obvious marks on my brass, and although the pistol shot fine, it surely isn't an ideal way of sealing the back end of the chamber! :) Plus while I was sending it in anyways, I asked to have the slide to frame fit adjusted (It was disappointingly looser than I'd like a new gun to be, being that most reviews called the fit tight.) and to re-cut the crown on the barrel, as it seemed to have been cut with a dull cutter. The slide to frame fit and crown weren't anything I would've sent it back for on their own, but the breechface was unacceptable to me.

Edited to add: I got an e-mail from UPS with a tracking number from Ruger, so I should have mine back tomorrow! I haven't been contacted by Ruger since I sent the pistol in, so hopefully they actually addressed everything...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went over to my friends today so I could mess with his 1911's he has colt gc match a kiber ultra something and a springfield all blinged out and they were all tight I mean like real tight

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Have you shot it since it's return.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mainly what Ruger calls the "J cut", a step in the breechface on the driver's side of the pistol that was a few thousands above the rest of the breechface. It was making obvious marks on my brass, and although the pistol shot fine, it surely isn't an ideal way of sealing the back end of the chamber! :) Plus while I was sending it in anyways, I asked to have the slide to frame fit adjusted (It was disappointingly looser than I'd like a new gun to be, being that most reviews called the fit tight.) and to re-cut the crown on the barrel, as it seemed to have been cut with a dull cutter. The slide to frame fit and crown weren't anything I would've sent it back for on their own, but the breechface was unacceptable to me.

Edited to add: I got an e-mail from UPS with a tracking number from Ruger, so I should have mine back tomorrow! I haven't been contacted by Ruger since I sent the pistol in, so hopefully they actually addressed everything...
let me know when you get yours back how the slide to frame fit is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got mine back today. They fixed the breechface and touched up the muzzle, but I don't think they did anything about the slide to frame fit. In fact, it might just be me, but it seems somehow worse now:( I guess that's what they consider normal though, so I'll live with it. Or if I ever need work done by a gunsmith someday, I'll address it then.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got mine back today. They fixed the breechface and touched up the muzzle, but I don't think they did anything about the slide to frame fit. In fact, it might just be me, but it seems somehow worse now:( I guess that's what they consider normal though, so I'll live with it. Or if I ever need work done by a gunsmith someday, I'll address it then.
I am glad to here that you are not the only one that Ruger is telling that the slide being loose is "normal"

I was going to say this in my first post but I thought people would not believe but my slide feels way looser than it did before I sent it in, I was shocked that it was looser than before cause they put a new slide on my frame.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It seems weird to me, since I have the same slide and it seems worse! As I said though, I can't imagine it actually being worse, maybe it's just me. But I do think it's a looser fit than a new 1911 should be. But the proof is in the pudding, and the test target they sent back with it was a very nice group. It shot well for me, despite the loose nut behind the backstrap. I haven't shot it since I got it back yet, but I'm sure it's in good working order. It does annoy me though :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.