Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up today, traded a S&W 581 and two Taurus 80's for it, a fair trade IMO.

I had wanted an unfluted S&W 686 for years, however, I stopped looking at S&W's some time ago, this one is way cooler than any 686.....

This is why I wait until I get a new gun in hand before I order "accessories", I had planned to change the grips out, but the Hogue woods that came on it look great. I have Hogue woods on other Rugers so I'm familiar with the feel, so they work in that respect too. Putting Hogue rubbers on this would feel like a crime.

I also had planned to put an XS standard dot sight on it, still on the fence about that, I may just order a red ramp front sight and leave it at that. This will be pretty much a range queen so I don't know if I need "combat sights" on it.....the XS sights are not made for fine accuracy, putting them on a 6" and wasting the longer sight radius is probably a no-go for this one. I already have the XS dot on a 4" GP, they'll just stay on that one.

Also had planned to put ISMI springs in it, but the out of the box DA pull is so good, I'm not touching anything. Firm but even DA stroke, snappy trigger return, if it ain't broke why mess with it:)

Attachments

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Very cool looking GP. Was it shipped in the white cardboard box under the gun or is that just for contrast in the photo? I know the SR1911, LCR and a few other revolvers get the "deluxe" cardboard box treatment.

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
444 Posts
Great looking GP! Looks like a Ruger rifle box under it - based on the little fold-in flap thingies (but, Sherlock Holmes I am not!). Hopefully Ruger is shipping a $700+ revolver in a deluxe-ish plastic box? I really like the grips ... :)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You:)

I'm a huge sucker for a non-fluted cylinder, I just love them. Maybe it's from my days as a kid shooting those cheap Italian Colt and Remington cap and ball repros, I don't know:)

I like the look of a stainless DA revolver with a non-fluted cylinder so much, I almost bought a Rossi M711 once, in 4", then realized, why the heck am I looking at a Rossi.......

I told myself, I don't need any more .357's.........but then I saw this TALO GP100......and I at first had planned to use it for a Clement's 10mm conversion. I decided then, after the gun was on the way, I was going to leave this gun a .357. I also read somewhere that Clement's doesn't do conversions on the new "box" extractor cylinders, but I haven't asked them yet, since the 10mm project is on the back burner, and I'm doing a 9mm conversion on another GP100 first.

The box is from a 50th Anniversary 10/22 that I got from a pawn shop, that tried to screw me out of $200 in layaway funds for a Glock 42, after notifying the BBB, they call me and offer store credit, I said "What do you have in the $200 range because I'm not giving you any more cash" they said they had an 'all black 10/22" and they'd eat some of the difference, for $30 to cover shipping they'd give me that, and this is what arrived at my dealer, sometimes you gotta live and learn, no more layaways except from known dealers, but at least now I have a new 10/22 and a bonus is that it's a 50th Aniversary edition, so it's different in some way from my other one......

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Good looker mate.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Ooh that's purty. The barrel is twice as long as it should be though. :p

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had thought that TALO should order some of these in 3" and 4", but somehow that 6" barrel and unfluted cylinder just give it that complete bad-*** all business .357 look that I don't quite think a 3-4" could capture:)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Very Nice!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had thought that TALO should order some of these in 3" and 4", but somehow that 6" barrel and unfluted cylinder just give it that complete bad-*** all business .357 look that I don't quite think a 3-4" could capture:)
And the increase in muzzle energy between a 3" and 6" 357 is so great they might as well be considered two different calibers. Massive delta.

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .357 Mag Results Go to "Muzzle energy graph."

(Yeah, everyone is tired of hearing me repeat it, but it's fact.)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Love the Un-fluted barrel. I have been eyeing a Talo 686 4" but I think I would rather have the Ruger instead. I like it except for the grips. They look great but sadly for me they are to big to fit me comfortably. I would have to change them out.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I too am lusting for another GP100. I love/hate this addiction!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Darn nice sidearm!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
foytfoyt this is why the 6" N-frame .357's were so popular with both police and civilians for decades......

Also, the 6" .38 like the S&W M&P, K-38, and Colt Official Police were popular because long barrels were a holdover from when .38's were still "semi smokeless"and needed that barrel to burn the powder up. Also the added sight radius, and more velocity from the .38. The LAPD carried 6" .38's for decades.

Only the "convenience" of a 4" barrel that didn't dig into the seat of a squad car phased out the 6" police revolver. Just like today, the civilian market follows what police and military do, so the 3" and 4" .357 gained in popularity.

Like this TALO if you want the "ultimate combat" revolver it should probably be a 6", to get the most out of the .357 as a manstopper.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts