Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been planning to pick up a 10/22 for months, but didn't have the money. They were hovering just below or slightly above $200 as long as I'd been looking, but now they seem to be about $220. I called all the local stores, and only one had a plain Jane basic model, so I went there today and snatched it up for $220 plus background check and sales tax. Also got a Ruger 25 round mag, and last week I ordered a GI sling for it. Now, to order some sights, and go shoot it!

While I waited for the BG check, I looked at a couple of used Ruger P series, the alloy and the polymers. I'd skipped over them in the past, thinking they were big, clunky, and outdated, but that was a mistake. I really like them. What I did not know was, the decocker is not like my P345, which is also a safety. The decocker on these, for those who aren't familiar, only decocks. It's DA/SA, and when you're done shooting you can decock and holster it. That was my other turn-off, because I don't like the P345's decocker; I find it uncomfortable and awkward to use. I could really get used to the other P series, and they had a used 9mm for only $250.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took the 10/22 to the indoor range today, and loved it. Even though I own a Mini 30, I haven't fired it yet so this is my first time with a rifle. The first target picture was 15 yards, the second was 25 yards. I have some M1 style sights on the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
At right around $200, the 10/22 is one of the best buys a shooter can make. Congrats, & enjoy!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My "Liberty Rifle" parts are in, Garand sights, sling, sling mounts. Appleseed is next month, and they recommend bringing five rotary mags. For prone shooting, stick mags can get in the way.

Is there any real advantage to the clear plastic rotary mags? My mags are always either filled to capacity or empty, I can't imagine needing to check how full they are. Not sure you can see that well through the plastic anyway. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
My basic 10/22 was $218 about 6 months ago. I bought some extra 10 round mags. I don't know that the clear ones really have any advantage other than its cool to see how they work inside.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Enjoy. The 10/22 is on my short list.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Enjoy your new 10/22!!! They are fun to shoot, fun to tinker with and customize… and cheap to shoot!

I also recently also got into 10/22s. My father gave me a Marlin bolt action .22LR rifle as a kid many years ago. I still have it and it works great. In the ensuing years, I have purchased several other firearms in larger calibers. In the last couple of months, I have picked two 10/22s. The first one was a basic blue carbine model. I have done some mods on it, it is so much fun to shoot. I just bought a 10/22 TD model, that I have been changing up a bit. Love the 10/22 platform, am really enjoying taking them to the range.

Put a lot of small holes in paper targets!!! :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Congrats! Hope you really enjoy your 10/22. They are great guns.

I recently purchased the 10/22 Takedown. Love it so far. Haven't had a chance to really put some rounds through it. Was hoping to today but it is pouring rain.

I then purchased the SR22 this week. Haven't shot it at all yet. But a clear day is coming.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
At right around $200, the 10/22 is one of the best buys a shooter can make. Congrats, & enjoy!
agreed! can't go wrong at around that price for the fun of it, and what it will do, and the reliability, and the cheapness of ammo, and, and, and.... great choice and congrats!

was the 9mm a P95? i got one over the summer-- my first handgun, and i've definitely grown to love it!

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I've been planning to pick up a 10/22 for months, but didn't have the money. They were hovering just below or slightly above $200 as long as I'd been looking, but now they seem to be about $220. I called all the local stores, and only one had a plain Jane basic model, so I went there today and snatched it up for $220 plus background check and sales tax. Also got a Ruger 25 round mag, and last week I ordered a GI sling for it. Now, to order some sights, and go shoot it!

While I waited for the BG check, I looked at a couple of used Ruger P series, the alloy and the polymers. I'd skipped over them in the past, thinking they were big, clunky, and outdated, but that was a mistake. I really like them. What I did not know was, the decocker is not like my P345, which is also a safety. The decocker on these, for those who aren't familiar, only decocks. It's DA/SA, and when you're done shooting you can decock and holster it. That was my other turn-off, because I don't like the P345's decocker; I find it uncomfortable and awkward to use. I could really get used to the other P series, and they had a used 9mm for only $250.
Congrats on the 10/22! I just bought my first 10/22 a couple of weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it. I bought the Take Down model and just got finished putting a scope on it.

Enjoy!

BTW - Although I'm new to .22's, from what I've heard it's best to stick with the Ruger mags, either size. I've heard too many complaints of aftermarket mags jamming.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just picked up another 10/22 as well. I've had one for many years but always wanted a heavy barrel version so I got a SS target model. These guns are too much fun.

Rob

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Congrats! I got a black synthetic stock 10/22 with Simmons scope for $249.99 at Gander Mountain. I just ordered a NOS factory wood stock in mint condition off ebay which I will switch after realizing I didn't care much for the feel of the synthetic, but I'll still have it if I want to switch back or build another 10/22.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Congrats! I picked up my first 10/22 a couple of weeks ago. I got a black TD and just put a Weaver scope on it and the VQ auto bolt release.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts