Ruger Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yeah, that's it. Just the mag that came with. Not a bad idea just to swap out the ejector while it's still apart though. I don't know anyone with a Glock so I can't borrow a mag but, if it is the ejector then swapping should take care of it or at least eliminate another possibility.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Sorry for all of OP's stove pipe issues. I have the 6.5" version and it works without any feeding failure. I never ran it with the Ruger mag, just low cost Glock mags. I was having Magpul/Glock mags dropping out after 2-3 rounds. I switched the mag release to the right side and it's been flawless since with OEM Gen5 Glock mags and Magpul/Glock mags. I've only shot 115gn FMJ and 115 JHP factory new ammo, ~500rounds total.

This thread has convinced me to buy an aftermarket extractor.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So, I've got my rifle all cleaned, lubed, and re-assembled. I literally inspected each part under a magnifying glass. Even though I couldn't see any difference between them I swapped out the ejector just in case. I'll get out and shoot it probably Tuesday or Wednesday to see how it performs this time. If I'm still having stovepipe issues I'll order an Mcarbo extractor but that's about the limit I'm willing to spend. I don't mind shelling out money to fix something but I hate buying medicine for a dead horse. I made that mistake a few times as a kid but I learned my lesson. So, fingers crossed let's see what happens. The sad thing is that if it does end up being a failure there's nothing out there right now that I'd want to replace it with. Maybe a 77/357 but I've looked at them on GB and I'm not crazy enough to pay the kind of money they're asking right now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
So, I've got my rifle all cleaned, lubed, and re-assembled. I literally inspected each part under a magnifying glass. Even though I couldn't see any difference between them I swapped out the ejector just in case. I'll get out and shoot it probably Tuesday or Wednesday to see how it performs this time. If I'm still having stovepipe issues I'll order an Mcarbo extractor but that's about the limit I'm willing to spend. I don't mind shelling out money to fix something but I hate buying medicine for a dead horse. I made that mistake a few times as a kid but I learned my lesson. So, fingers crossed let's see what happens. The sad thing is that if it does end up being a failure there's nothing out there right now that I'd want to replace it with. Maybe a 77/357 but I've looked at them on GB and I'm not crazy enough to pay the kind of money they're asking right now.
Suggest being patient, and trying to not become frustrated. I think most of us understand your frustration, and have BTDT at some point.

Suggest replacing extractor might be useful, but so might be replacing extractor SPRING as well. Good on you for making minute exam of the rifle, but springs are hard to find fault with, excepting having a known good spring for comparison.

No Expert on your PCC, but how does the ctg ejector look? Instruction manual and exploded parts diagram: https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/PC-Carbine.pdf

Also suggest buying a second mag from trusted source.and trying it out. Blowback type firearms inject a lot of crud back into the action and magazine; both rifle and magazine require periodic cleaning and lubing. Suggest dismantling magazine, cleaning it, giving the spring a very light film of oil, and re-assembling.

It will all come out right, even if you need to send it back to Ruger for repair.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The pcc9 is a hell of a useful carbine in my experience with it. However mine ran great from Ruger and I simply enhanced it.
The American pistol I recently purchased however had a very hard to find burr on the extractor, which prevented it from fully chambering a round. I am an arrogant "do it myself" kinda guy, so I did and the American is now past 1500 rounds. But, had I not been well versed in my knowledge of guns, it could have been bad. And I wonder if I had sent it back, if they may have uncovered the qc problem. As it stands I am more than happy with Ruger for my needs. I hope your issue gets resolved. The carbine is worth a certain amount of struggle. The AR 9's converted to blow back have a big disadvantage you may not hear talked about. Soot and gas from the charge handle sucks. You can minimize it, but not completly stop it. Not bad on a .22 conversion, but 9x19 holds more powder under more pressure

·
Registered
158 Posts
@calgryphon - hope you get your problems sorted out. I ran my PC Carbine in steel challenge matches the last two weekends. About 300 rounds down range as fast as I could shoot them. Lots of fun and zero problems. Fun to shoot and mine runs great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My PC carbine became the jam -O-mantic and (after pulling out what little hair out I have left ) I found the front allen take down screw in front of the mag well very loss after tightening it up it ran great after that . I have sines i Put on purple lock tight on it and 1000 rounds latter haven't had a problem sins
I hope this might help

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I actually just went and checked that bolt. Not loose. I went out again today and fired a total of 140 rounds and got 5 stovepipes. I fired 50 rounds of Remington green box, 40 rounds of Winchester white box, 50 rounds of Blazer Brass. Didn't seem to matter which. It choked on all of them.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts