Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up this evening - hope to try shooting it soon. Hopefully everything works well...

Now I guess I needs find one of those P95 pics to add to my signature...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Picked this up this evening - hope to try shooting it soon. Hopefully everything works well...

Now I guess I needs find one of those P95 pics to add to my signature...
i love mine
when i get it back from ruger, the safety screwed up but there fixing it.

when safty was on trigger still engaged hammer

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUick question - I only took it apart 1 time to clean - but the frame doesn't seem to have metal inserts on the frame rails like most other polymer handguns do. Is that normal?

·
Registered
58 Posts
that's normal.... I just took mine to the range... It ate up 100 rounds of winchester white box without a single jam, but with the 100 rounds of monarch 9mm luger that i used, it jammed about 7 times.... No stove pipes but just seemed to want to load up two rounds at once... I think since mine is new (first time shooting this p95) the recoil spring is too stiff, it's what caused the problems..

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
that's normal.... I just took mine to the range... It ate up 100 rounds of winchester white box without a single jam, but with the 100 rounds of monarch 9mm luger that i used, it jammed about 7 times.... No stove pipes but just seemed to want to load up two rounds at once... I think since mine is new (first time shooting this p95) the recoil spring is too stiff, it's what caused the problems..
might be the ammo causing the grief. i've never heard of monarch pistol ammo before. is that USA or import ammo?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, monarch is underpowered amo - I hear this a lot about a lot of guns. Personally, I don't like monarch. I like CCI Blazer.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
buck for buck the 95 is very hard to beat , they work great and easy to maintain so you will have fun thats what its all about man

·
Registered
208 Posts
I love my P95. It is the first pistol I have owned, so I may be biased. It feels better in my hand than any other handgun that I have touched. I am itching to get back to the range after having a funky barrel replaced.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I got to shoot 205 rounds thru it today. This is my first Ruger handgun. And, I will admit that in the past, I am a bit of a brandsnob. However, having shot Ruger P Series 9mms before, I did know what to expect (although, I never shot the polymer P series before)...

The mags were a bear to load for the first 1 or 2 times. They are 15 round mags, but 1 would only load 11 the first time. They both take 15 now.

The gun is very accurate. No jams. Decent gun for $300.

2 negatives. One - you can actually feel the slide spring. Hard to explain - but the action of the slide can be felt by your hand. The ka-chink of the spring in action.

Two - the trigger isn't the best. It's better at the end of 205 rounds than when I first started - I think. Maybe I just got used to it. Where you expect it to break - there is a little more friction w/ some creep, and then it breaks.

I'd be disappointed if this was my ONLY gun. But, I have numerous guns - all that I love. This gun is what it is - an extra gun that will be a beater gun/car gun that I need not worry about scratching, etc.

For $300 - it was worth it. Does it compare to my other guns that I spent more money on? I will admit that I much prefer my HK and Walther and Beretta. But, it wasn't wasted money. For $300, its not bad.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Congratulations Shipwreck and thanks for the range report. Mine is one of my favorite handguns and has been trouble-free since purchasing it NIB last year.

Off topic but do you own or have plans to purchase one of the FN .45s? I've heard mixed reviews on them and was looking for a personal account since I want one. :D

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Off topic but do you own or have plans to purchase one of the FN .45s? I've heard mixed reviews on them and was looking for a personal account since I want one. :D
I do not have one of the FN 45s - but I finally got to handle one the other day. Very nice.

Actually - the 9mm/40 cal FNP had some issues. The trigger conrtol mechanism was cracking on a small # of them. FN redesigned the trigger control and has fixed the issue.

The 45 version never suffered from this issue. And in fact, I have yet to read anything neg about the FNP 45 version. Well, people claim it is big. But other than, nothing bad in its operation.

The only think I wish it had was a thumb safety that allowed for cocked and locked - like the USP. It only works as a decocker, unfortunately.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took the slide off and looked at the frame. The trigger/trigger bar moved, and then in the hammer section - it makes contact with another part. When the trigger continues, this part moved, and then the hammer drops.

So, there is no way to eliminate that 2nd area of friction as the trigger is pulled - as it is just the way the firing mechanism is designed.

If the trigger was better - this would be a pretty awesome gun - as the accuracy is excellent. Oh well...

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Thank you for the information Shipwreck. I have an XD .45 ACP Tactical but thought the FN .45 would be a nice complement to it. I'd rather have it (The FN) than the Glock 21.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for the information Shipwreck. I have an XD .45 ACP Tactical but thought the FN .45 would be a nice complement to it. I'd rather have it (The FN) than the Glock 21.
Come read the reviews of it at the Fn Forum if U like :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts