Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this old rifle. Ruger Deerstalker 44 Mag carbine. Made in 1961, probably during the first week of initial production. SN is 108. What is it worth? Stock is nice wood with some dings and finish wear. Bore looks great. Metal finish is maybe 50%. Almost looks like someone put blueing remover on barrel and receiver top. Maybe to make more stealthy? No idea. Anyway, all internal parts are in working order with no breakages.

·
Banned
collector of Ruger Firearms
76 Posts
sir, your blueing issue may be normal. the Deerstalker was there first rifle. they had issues. i have a few like this myself. if by chance youd sell it. id be interested. Scott

·
Registered
644 Posts
Nice one to have. My book says approximately 3,750 made with Deerstalker marked on rifle until Ithaca lawsuit disc. manufacture in 1962. Pretty low number ya got there. My book is a few years old so value on yours should be higher than quoted in my book. Should be worth a premium though even though the bluing not great. I like the wood too.

·
Registered
RUGER
137 Posts
You would be lucky to get $400.00 in that condition , how ever if you were to have it cleaned and re-blued with the stock sanded & refinished with a nice oil finish , You can get up to $1,000.00 for it . If I were you I would have it refinished and keep it . I had one of these Ruger .44 magnum Carbine Rifles in the 80's and I traded it for a Colt Commander 1911 pistol . Sorry I did not hang on to that rifle. It was one of the best brush guns for Deer & Hog hunting I've ever owned.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm going to respectfully disagree with any refinishing of your gun. Leave it "as is" to retain the most value. The fact that it is an early s/n with the "Deerslayer" markings is going to enhance it's value over a "regular/later" model & those are going for about a $1000 on GB these days. Hopefully a true collecter will see your pics & give you a better value estimate but an auction will net you what it's really worth in the current, crazy market.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Got this old rifle. Ruger Deerstalker 44 Mag carbine. Made in 1961, probably during the first week of initial production. SN is 108. What is it worth? Stock is nice wood with some dings and finish wear. Bore looks great. Metal finish is maybe 50%. Almost looks like someone put blueing remover on barrel and receiver top. Maybe to make more stealthy? No idea. Anyway, all internal parts are in working order with no breakages.
View attachment 152433 View attachment 152434 View attachment 152435 View attachment 152436 View attachment 152437
I'm going to respectfully disagree with any refinishing of your gun. Leave it "as is" to retain the most value. The fact that it is an early s/n with the "Deerslayer" markings is going to enhance it's value over a "regular/later" model & those are going for about a $1000 on GB these days. Hopefully a true collecter will see your pics & give you a better value estimate but an auction will net you what it's really worth in the current, crazy market.
sir, im going to agree with you. leave the gun alone. as a "Carbine" guy. and i feel im the foremost collector of these guns in the USA. i have 70 Deerstalker,s in my pile. many 3 and 2 digit guns. your gun is worth more org then redone. the take backs are the blueing lose, wood cracks. if any? but what is the main detractor is the swivel studs. standard Carbine rifles never had them. kills the stock for a collector. ill feel you have a $1200 -1500 gun with seing it in hand. Scott

·
Registered
RUGER
137 Posts
GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ! 😁

·
Registered
RUGER
137 Posts
sir, im going to agree with you. leave the gun alone. as a "Carbine" guy. and i feel im the foremost collector of these guns in the USA. i have 70 Deerstalker,s in my pile. many 3 and 2 digit guns. your gun is worth more org then redone. the take backs are the blueing lose, wood cracks. if any? but what is the main detractor is the swivel studs. standard Carbine rifles never had them. kills the stock for a collector. ill feel you have a $1200 -1500 gun with seing it in hand. Scott
GOOD LUCK WITH THAT 😁

·
Registered
644 Posts
Great to read above posts and opinions I will add. Amazed to see such a low number. Recall when the going price new was $119 for quite awhile. I once read the action required a lot of machining of parts which sounds costly. Still best deer and hog gun for brush or deep woods.

·
Registered
RUGER
137 Posts
Great to read above posts and opinions I will add. Amazed to see such a low number. Recall when the going price new was $119 for quite awhile. I once read the action required a lot of machining of parts which sounds costly. Still best deer and hog gun for brush or deep woods.
I agree with you I now wish I had kept mine if it were mine I would refinish it and keep it .

·
Registered
RUGER
137 Posts
FYI : Ruger .44 Carbine Serial Number History
The above chart shows the approximate first serial number shipped for the indicated year. This number should be used as a point of reference only. It is not necessarily the very first serial number shipped, but it can be used to determine the approximate year your Ruger firearm was shipped.
Ruger does not necessarily produce firearms in serial number order. There are occasions when blocks of serial numbers have been manufactured out of sequence, sometimes years later. Also, within a model family the same serial number prefix may be used to produce a variety of different models, all in the same block of serial numbers. And in some cases, firearms may be stored for a length of time before they are shipped.
For details on your specific serial number you may contact our Service Department: 336-949-5200
For serial numbers manufactured prior to our electronic records, or for an official letter confirming the details on your firearm please download and mail in the Request for Letter of Authenticity form.

·
Registered
RUGER
137 Posts
its a out the low number, thats the 108th Ruger Rifles ever made. Scott
It sure is a low serial number in fact it was made in 1961 the year they first came out on the market . They were produced from 1961 - 1974 with serial number 50238 being the last one made in 1974 . Like I said in my first post I would have it refinished and restored and keep it to hand down to the younger generation of children and grandchildren my Grandson has my first Ruger 10 / 22 from 1964 I had it re barreled and refinished to like new condition and handed it down to my Grandson and I hope he keeps it and hands it down to his son.

·
Banned
76 Posts
It sure is a low serial number in fact it was made in 1961 the year they first came out on the market . They were produced from 1961 - 1974 with serial number 50238 being the last one made in 1974 . Like I said in my first post I would have it refinished and restored and keep it to hand down to the younger generation of children and grandchildren my Grandson has my first Ruger 10 / 22 from 1964 I had it re barreled and refinished to like new condition and handed it down to my Grandson and I hope he keeps it and hands it down to his son.
i love the grandson part, good on ya. your wrong on a few things, Deerstalkers where only made from late 1961- thru mid 1962. the re-stamping of the rifle to "Carbine" went on till 1985 with a 25 year coin in the stock. the value of low number, offen over takes condition in the collectors eyes. you offer me a NIB cabine VS a 2 or 3 digit Deerstalker in lesser condition. im taking the low number gun. Scott

·
Registered
644 Posts
Good info Double Duce. Might mention that International model 44 would sure be a good prize to come across. Bit of a rarity one would think.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You would be lucky to get $400.00 in that condition , how ever if you were to have it cleaned and re-blued with the stock sanded & refinished with a nice oil finish , You can get up to $1,000.00 for it . If I were you I would have it refinished and keep it . I had one of these Ruger .44 magnum Carbine Rifles in the 80's and I traded it for a Colt Commander 1911 pistol . Sorry I did not hang on to that rifle. It was one of the best brush guns for Deer & Hog hunting I've ever owned.
I checked and Ruger’s website says they will polish and reblue for $130 plus shipping. Was wondering if doing so would help or hinder the value of the gun.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts