Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
its a out the low number, thats the 108th Ruger Rifles ever made. Scott
That makes me wonder. From the beginning day that they started up the machines until my 108th came off the line finished, how many days do you think passed?? How many could they do in a day??

·
Banned
collector of Ruger Firearms
76 Posts
That makes me wonder. From the beginning day that they started up the machines until my 108th came off the line finished, how many days do you think passed?? How many could they do in a day??
lets not forget the the "subscription" guys out there that would get every gun with the same number. back in them days it went to 200. gun book, writers, gun industry guys, military generals, friends, ect. them guns where often done and socked away, or rolled at a later date. a letter stating what day it was "Shipped" will tell you alot. but you may never know. say it was rolled on the first day. but shipped at a much later date? or rolled later and shipped right away. again. we will never know. in addition, the production target was 200-250 guns per model aday. Scott

·
Banned
76 Posts
Anybody have or no where I can find an original 44 carbine rear sight?
i might be able to help you out on that. im in AZ for a few more days. ill be back in AK and look in my box. not sure, but i might. id like it better if you sell the rifle to me! im a low numbers guy...lol. ill get back to you in the middle of the week. Scott

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
i might be able to help you out on that. im in AZ for a few more days. ill be back in AK and look in my box. not sure, but i might. id like it better if you sell the rifle to me! im a low numbers guy...lol. ill get back to you in the middle of the week. Scott
Thanks. There’s a Lyman front sight on it now. Good sight. Just wanting to have original sights on hand if needed. The rear sight on it now, again, is decent, but not original.
Does this look like the correct front sight for this early gun?

·
Registered
926 Posts
You will get top dollars for it being low serial number and they are hard to find but you refinish it and will lose the top dollar amount of left alone.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Reactions: frog4aday

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

·
Banned
76 Posts
them are both wrong sights, Ruger put the glow pin sight on the front. they called it the "Sourdough front sight" one is pictured above. the rear sight is the early slotted one that was adjustable. ill post a few pics in a few days of the right ones, as i have many of theses rifles. Scott

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Okay. Now that we’ve established I need correct sights and that refinishing the blueing would ruin any value the low number may have, what about the worn finish on the stock?? Do I run the same risk of diminishing the value if I strip what’s left of the varnish and hand rum it with linseed oil? I would not sand it. Just clean off the varnish with mineral spirits and then rub with linseed or maybe tinge oil. Of course I could use true oil sparingly and give it a similar gloss that it current has.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Okay. Now that we’ve established I need correct sights and that refinishing the blueing would ruin any value the low number may have, what about the worn finish on the stock?? Do I run the same risk of diminishing the value if I strip what’s left of the varnish and hand rum it with linseed oil? I would not sand it. Just clean off the varnish with mineral spirits and then rub with linseed or maybe tinge oil. Of course I could use true oil sparingly and give it a similar gloss that it current has.
View attachment 152481 View attachment 152482 View attachment 152483
your gun deserves a new stock. they never came with sling studs. plus yours has three holes...yekes...re barrel. re stock it. 108 calls to be saved! bonus, re barreled would have your sight isses fixed. re finishing that 3 hole stock is just polishing a turd. Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 1976, .44 Carbine... Great shooting rifle... Enough bang within 150 yds or so for the local whitetail population! That number 108 is a tremendous find and great looking rifle... Looking for the 25th Anniversary model in 1985 (last year they made them I believe) to go with my centennial model... I still think it was crazy that Ithaca got them to change the DeerStalker name because they had a shotgun that was called a DeerSlayer... Really? Bill Ruger was a gentleman...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Very happy with today’s first shooting and load testing of #108!! Using my Powder coated, gas checked bullets (Lee C430-310-GC) weighing in at about 308 grains, I shot three rounds each with 16.6 grains and 18.2 grains of H110
H110 - 16.6 gr average V = 1256 FPS Sd - 11.1
H110 - 18.2 gr average V = 1373 FPS Sd - 10.2
NO VISIBLE LEADING FOR EACH!!
Both loads cycled, ejected and locked back on empty. They gave a good thump.
And a bonus was that the recovered Bullets had mushroomed nicely. Should do well on deer!!
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
11 Posts
FYI : Ruger .44 Carbine Serial Number History
The above chart shows the approximate first serial number shipped for the indicated year. This number should be used as a point of reference only. It is not necessarily the very first serial number shipped, but it can be used to determine the approximate year your Ruger firearm was shipped.
Ruger does not necessarily produce firearms in serial number order. There are occasions when blocks of serial numbers have been manufactured out of sequence, sometimes years later. Also, within a model family the same serial number prefix may be used to produce a variety of different models, all in the same block of serial numbers. And in some cases, firearms may be stored for a length of time before they are shipped.
For details on your specific serial number you may contact our Service Department: 336-949-5200
For serial numbers manufactured prior to our electronic records, or for an official letter confirming the details on your firearm please download and mail in the Request for Letter of Authenticity form.
Thank you for that link. I have one, my first purchase, shot one single time, one round. Always appreciated it, never used it but once. Now I can see its' manufacture date. Thanks again.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts