Ruger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
It is true, that on old 19th century and some early 20th century guns, any refinishing hurts the value especially if they have a documented history behind them. But mid to late 20th century firearms usually bring a better price if they are factory re-finished.

I have a 1978 Ruger 44 carbine. It's about 95% condition I was thinking about selling it so I looked on Gun Broker to see what they were going for. Comparable 44s are going for $1200 -1500.

Yours is in rough condition. Because it has the original DeerStalker stamping a collector may give you between $500 -1000. It will depend on the collector. In my opinion I would send it back to Ruger and let them refinish it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Personally, I like the Redfield two piece bases, SR DS 512010. They are no longer mfg, so you will have to search around. Otherwise, I believe the only current mfg bases would be the Weaver #47 rear, #68 front.

Reactions: KneverKnew

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got this old rifle. Ruger Deerstalker 44 Mag carbine. Made in 1961, probably during the first week of initial production. SN is 108. What is it worth? Stock is nice wood with some dings and finish wear. Bore looks great. Metal finish is maybe 50%. Almost looks like someone put blueing remover on barrel and receiver top. Maybe to make more stealthy? No idea. Anyway, all internal parts are in working order with no breakages.
View attachment 152433 View attachment 152434 View attachment 152435 View attachment 152436 View attachment 152437
The old Ruger .44 Magnum carbines are greatly missed in the shooting community. Even in this condition, it's still worth close to $1,000 in the right market. I saw one recently in my area that didn't sit on the shelf long at a price above that. If you like it, I'd keep it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's junk, I'd be glad to take it off your hands for $50 so that you don't have to worry about any of this stuff anymore.

·
Registered
RUGER
125 Posts
Thank you for that link. I have one, my first purchase, shot one single time, one round. Always appreciated it, never used it but once. Now I can see its' manufacture date. Thanks again.
I had one and it was one of the best whitetail brush guns I ever had. Hang on to it keep it clean and free of rust Swab the barrel and chamber with Lucas gun grease with a bore rug this will prevent pitting and rust.

·
Registered
348 Posts
How about scope mounts for these carbines? Brownell’s again?
I went with the Ironsighter see-thru mount on my .44 Carbine.
It allows you to use the scope or iron sights.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Personally, I like the Redfield two piece bases, SR DS 512010. They are no longer mfg, so you will have to search around. Otherwise, I believe the only current mfg bases would be the Weaver #47 rear, #68 front.
Thank you for the info. I’ll brush up on my googlejitsu

·
Registered
RUGER
125 Posts
Very happy with today’s first shooting and load testing of #108!! Using my Powder coated, gas checked bullets (Lee C430-310-GC) weighing in at about 308 grains, I shot three rounds each with 16.6 grains and 18.2 grains of H110
H110 - 16.6 gr average V = 1256 FPS Sd - 11.1
H110 - 18.2 gr average V = 1373 FPS Sd - 10.2
NO VISIBLE LEADING FOR EACH!!
Both loads cycled, ejected and locked back on empty. They gave a good thump.
And a bonus was that the recovered Bullets had mushroomed nicely. Should do well on deer!!
If you powder coat the entire bullet and size it , is the gas check required ? I had used 260 grain hard cast Keith's bullet over 22.5 grains of 2400 at 1,400 feet per second this was Elmo Keith's pet load , I shot several in my .44 Magnum Winchester & Marlin lever guns and never had a problem with lead fouling. I had cast these from old wheel weights I collected since 1976 up to 1990 I had 50 5 gallon buckets full of them in 1990 I Melted them down into lead ingots I had cast swaged & sized about 5,000 bullets and boxed them up put them in storage along with several hundred lead ingots , I also cast .357 Magnum 180 grain & 173 grain semi wadcutter and in my Marlin lever gun I also never had a lead fouling problem . I also cast some 320 grain for my .444 lever action Marlin but this required the gas check because it was pushing that 320 grain bullet at 2,000 -2,200 FPS out of my old 22" barrel Marlin Lever rifle .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
If you powder coat the entire bullet and size it , is the gas check required ? I had used 260 grain hard cast Keith's bullet over 22.5 grains of 2400 at 1,400 feet per second this was Elmo Keith's pet load , I shot several in my .44 Magnum Winchester & Marlin lever guns and never had a problem with lead fouling. I had cast these from old wheel weights I collected since 1976 up to 1990 I had 50 5 gallon buckets full of them in 1990 I Melted them down into lead ingots I had cast swaged & sized about 5,000 bullets and boxed them up put them in storage along with several hundred lead ingots , I also cast .357 Magnum 180 grain & 173 grain semi wadcutter and in my Marlin lever gun I also never had a lead fouling problem . I also cast some 320 grain for my .444 lever action Marlin but this required the gas check because it was pushing that 320 grain bullet at 2,000 -2,200 FPS out of my old 22" barrel Marlin Lever rifle .
I’ve heard that PC doesn’t require gas checks up to a certain point. I just figure why run the risk, especially in the carbine, as I will be pushing these pretty quick. I do plan on seeing just how low can I go and it still function.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
It just occurred to me that the recoil spring may be original and therefore weakened from use over time. This may allow functioning of reduced loads, but also not strong enough for the heavy loads. I suppose I need to go ahead and order a beer one.

·
Super Moderator
22,035 Posts
If you are going to keep it I would get the bluing job, refinish the stock and hunt with it. I don't worry about collector value and that looks like a great rifle to use on those damp days when a scope fogs and you walk a lot just trying to stay warm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
If you are going to keep it I would get the bluing job, refinish the stock and hunt with it. I don't worry about collector value and that looks like a great rifle to use on those damp days when a scope fogs and you walk a lot just trying to stay warm.
I’m fine with the condition of the blueing. I may however put several coats of oil on the stock since it’s already got three holes drilled for sling mounts. One hole drilled behind the barrel band was right over gas block so the previous owner then drilled the hole in front of the band. I’d love to find a replacement stock that is in good shape.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If it were me I would probably have it refinished and keep it. However, has always been my understanding that from a pure collectors point refinishing always kills value. I have one I inherited from my father. I love it and will never sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
The old Ruger .44 Magnum carbines are greatly missed in the shooting community. Even in this condition, it's still worth close to $1,000 in the right market. I saw one recently in my area that didn't sit on the shelf long at a price above that. If you like it, I'd keep it.
Yup I agree, maybe a grand on the high end.

·
Registered
55 Posts
With that low number, I wouldn't refinish the gun, or any part of it. If you're selling, a Ruger collector is you best bet, others would be interested because of condition. You'rv already had members here post that they're interested, post it as an auction.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Well, after shooting it several times now over the past couple of days, I have to say I really like it. And it’s aesthetic challenges aren’t quite so bothersome to me anymore. They are actually growing on me. So far all my powder coated bullets have shown no leading up to 1527 FPS with a 240 lswc and 1386 FPS with 310 flat nose.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Very happy with today’s first shooting and load testing of #108!! Using my Powder coated, gas checked bullets (Lee C430-310-GC) weighing in at about 308 grains, I shot three rounds each with 16.6 grains and 18.2 grains of H110
H110 - 16.6 gr average V = 1256 FPS Sd - 11.1
H110 - 18.2 gr average V = 1373 FPS Sd - 10.2
NO VISIBLE LEADING FOR EACH!!
Both loads cycled, ejected and locked back on empty. They gave a good thump.
And a bonus was that the recovered Bullets had mushroomed nicely. Should do well on deer!!
View attachment 152583 View attachment 152584
I find it interesting that the picture I posted of me shooting the rifle has a sensitive material warning label. You have to click it before it will show. Interesting There would be such a warning on a forum strictly for gun owners.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts