Ruger Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
It is true, that on old 19th century and some early 20th century guns, any refinishing hurts the value especially if they have a documented history behind them. But mid to late 20th century firearms usually bring a better price if they are factory re-finished.

I have a 1978 Ruger 44 carbine. It's about 95% condition I was thinking about selling it so I looked on Gun Broker to see what they were going for. Comparable 44s are going for $1200 -1500.

Yours is in rough condition. Because it has the original DeerStalker stamping a collector may give you between $500 -1000. It will depend on the collector. In my opinion I would send it back to Ruger and let them refinish it.
Personally, I wouldn’t take less than $1000 for it. That may mean I end up keeping it for a quite a long time. But it’s growing on me, and my son enjoyed shooting it to.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Yesterdays load testing. Are they crayons or lipstick? I do notice that the 310 grain flat nose bullets are a little more finicky loading in to the magazine tube. The semi wadcutters slide right in.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
I find it interesting that the picture I posted of me shooting the rifle has a sensitive material warning label. You have to click it before it will show. Interesting There would be such a warning on a forum strictly for gun owners.
it is some kind of forum filter that guesses at what the picture is and has the warning. I saw it early on when some one posted pictures of a table they had just found (I guess the table was too sensitive?).

There is a way to turn that off in your setting

Reactions: KneverKnew

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
i might be able to help you out on that. im in AZ for a few more days. ill be back in AK and look in my box. not sure, but i might. id like it better if you sell the rifle to me! im a low numbers guy...lol. ill get back to you in the middle of the week. Scott
Super cub, we’re you able to find a spare 44 carbine rear sight in your box? I need to find one for sure. And hopefully a correct front sight too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I appreciate all the comments! I believe I’ve settled on keeping hun as is except for trying to replace the sites with originals if possible. If anyone has any leads on where I can find an original front and rear sight for a Deerstalker, please let me know. Thanks again for a great conversation.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I appreciate all the comments! I believe I’ve settled on keeping hun as is except for trying to replace the sites with originals if possible. If anyone has any leads on where I can find an original front and rear sight for a Deerstalker, please let me know. Thanks again for a great conversation.
No help on the sites, but good luck on it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Does anyone know if aftermarket sights that fit the 10/22 barrel dovetails will fit on the 44 carbine barrel?
I’m also search now for the Williams Ruger 44 WGRS receiver rear sight. anyone know a place that has them in stock? Seems out of stock most places.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Brownell's lists that sight as discontinued. Numrich, GunBroker or fleeBay are probably the best remaining options

61 - 70 of 70 Posts